Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragster1090 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 11:57 AM
    In Excel 2003 how do I add two spaces in a cell before the text
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 12:07 PM

You can just type the spaces and then your text - that should work OK. Or you can use a single quote mark, like this:

' text
    dragster1090 Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 12:44 PM
    I need to do this in over 5000 cells, is there a macro?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 12:52 PM

You could use the CONCATENATE command, and then copy and paste it as any times as needed. If you have text "ABCD" in cell A1, and in cell B1 put =CONCATENATE(" ", A1), then cell B1 will end up with " ABCD"
    Depressed in MO Posts: 571, Reputation: 94

Oct 14, 2010, 12:54 PM

insert a blank column on the right side of the column in which you are wishing to change. Try this formula in the blank cells:

= (space,space)&(cell with text in it)
    and then hit enter. Copy the formula all the way down. Highlight your newly inserted column, right click, copy/special paste/Values.

Let me know if this helps or if you need further assistance.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2010, 07:46 AM

Dep, I tried your formula just to be doing it. I could get it to work by putting this: =$A$3&B3 where A3 was an otherwise blank cell with two spaces and B3 contained the text which needed two spaces in front of it. But it did not seem to recognize the "space" in your formula. I kept getting the #NAME? Error. Did I miss something? Did you mean to actually put in "space,space", or just hit the space bar twice? I am in Excel 03.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Nov 6, 2010, 09:04 AM

The forum strips out extra spaces in sentences. You have to use code tags to get text to display in raw format. This is the formula he suggests, copy it as is including the quotes:

Code:
    ="  " & A1
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2010, 10:03 AM

That works. Thanks.
    mrsworldlyacct Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2013, 01:57 PM
    Insert a new column. Enter this formula down all relevant rows. This reads: put Text 1 and Text 2 together. In this case "space space" and whatever is in B1

=CONCATENATE(" ",B1)

You can then hide the B column to reduce user confusion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Excel 15 digit issue, tried converting to text, text to column feature negates fix [ 6 Answers ]

I have the following numbers that exceed 15 characters that needs to be split into its own columns. Down the road, there would be thousands of such rows of data with the first couple set of unique numbers. 890432453253208820,5004500558,05CC,1,0,0,0,0,0,0, 0000,5.0000,2007-01-11...

Wrapping large blocks of text in Excel 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

I've read through previous submissions and unfortunately none of the suggestions have worked for me. I'm working with fairly large blocks of text (1500+ characters) and wondered if anyone had found a workaround. Autoformat doesn't solve the issue, at least not in Excel 2003. Thanks.

Wrap Text in Excel 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Am setting up a table for my DVD collection, so far, so good. Under the Notes column where I put in information regarding the movie, I've been going to Format, Cells, Alignment and clicking Wrap Text to get how I want it. Is there a way where the text would wrap without me doing that for every...

Display text vertically and not horizontally in 1 cell (Excel) [ 2 Answers ]

How would you display a line of text to show vertically after each text in one cell? For example: Total Activity Cost And not Total Activity Cost (in one cell)? Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search