Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    staffnav Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 11:18 AM
    Aunt receives Soc Sec Widows Benefit, lived in Canada 40+ yrs. Does she have to file
    Soc. Sec is deposited to her Bank - no withholding or Medicare deduction is made. She adds 85% to her Canadian Pension income amount on her Can Taxes Is she exempt from filing 1040NR?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 08:28 AM
    If your aunt is a U.S. citizen or a green card holderand has OTHER sources of income along with the Social Security, there MAY be a requirement for her to file.

However, since she is apparently paying Canadian taxes on her income, it is most likely that she owes NO U.S. taxes due to the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116).

Oct 15, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Thank you for your help in confirming our assessment of her situation.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
    Glad to help!

Oct 18, 2010, 08:13 AM

Thank you for your confirmation of my understanding of the Treaty & 1040NR Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can n.why. State garnish my soc.sec.retirement checking [ 3 Answers ]

Can N.Y. State garnish soc.sec.retirement checking After 28 years I got a letter from N.Y. saying I owe back income tax from 1983??

Soc. Sec. Disability and Deferred Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am 59 years old, permanently disabled for one year now and currently receiving monthly Social Security Disability payments, along with monthly payments from two long term private disability policies. My former employer set up a "deferred compensation" program which generally is paid when an...

Garnishment of soc sec or pension in Florida ? [ 2 Answers ]

Can social security or corporate pensions be garnished if the individual is a Florida resident ?

Soc Sec, Back Taxes and marriage [ 1 Answers ]

I owe back taxes that are taken out of my Social Security disability check each month. This is a long story but what I need to know is if I get married does my problem affect spouse in anyway. Just in case - is there anyone out there that would like to hear my story and help me figure out what to...

Nonresident Spouse as Resident & Medicare/Soc. Sec. [ 1 Answers ]

I am a nonresident alien and am deciding whether to find jointly with my US citizen husband for 2007. Medicare and Social Security Tax have not been withheld last year. IRS section titled "Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident" states that: "You may still be treated as a nonresident alien...

View more questions Search