Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hrushka13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Money Stolen with ATM transaction
    Me and my husband live in Dallas TX. He tried to make a purchase and it seemed that the transaction was declined because there was not enough money. He checked online that day and say that there were 4 transactions that withdrew $100.00 from ATM on the day and time when he was still at work. It happened in the same city, but different part of town. He still has his debit card, and only one who has access to his bank account. We called the bank and they reissued the card, but we are not getting our money back because it was done in the same geographical area and he still has his card. On top of that, which is petty, are non bank atm fees for those transactions. We filed a police report to get the camera surveillance for that day and time, and we have proof that we were not at that ATM when money was withdrawn. We even have toll tag registration that he was not in that area. The Chase says we still are not getting our money back, which is not fair in our opinion because they are suppose to gives us the security of our money, why would we bank with them anyway?
    Is there anything else we can do to at least get the $400.00 back?
    AnneW Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 14, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Hi, my name is ray. I watch a lot of reality crime show's and what I think has happened is that, someone has used a skimming device on an atm that you used and what that does is it copies your card detail's and a tiny camera takes your pin as you put it in. I think you should go to the bank and demand to see their branch manager and ask him simply to co-operate and refund your money, let him know that if he doesn't co-operate you will be seeking the assistance of a solicitor/lawyer, if you have proof that it was not you that withdrew the money the bank should re-imburse your account fully, they will have some kind of insurance to cover you, and you should be more than entitled to your money back. I have another idea, the last thing a bank manager need's is bad publicity, tell him if the bank does not fully co-operate then you will take your custom elsewhere and will take your story to the paper's. I hope I have helped and that you get the result you are looking for GOOD LUCK remember the customer is alway's right. Could you please keep me posted on the outcome and I will have a word with my lawyer and see what advice he gives and I will get back to you, you could just look up my question I asked, go to answer it and put a bit in there to let me know or my email is >Removed< , if you don't mind keeping me in the picture. And again GOOD LUCK.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 09:11 AM

What you are saying is contrary to Chase's fraud policy. Ask to talk to a manager about their official policy https://www.chase.com/index.jsp?pg_n..._card_security
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AnneW View Post
    Hi, my name is ray. I watch a lot of reality crime show's and what i think has happened is that, someone has used a skimming device on an atm that you used and what that does is it copies your card detail's and a tiny camera takes your pin as you put it in. I think you should go to the bank and demand to see their branch manager and ask him simply to co-operate and refund your money, let him know that if he doesn't co-operate you will be seeking the assistance of a solicitor/lawyer, if you have proof that it was not you that withdrew the money the bank should re-imburse your account fully, they will have some kind of insurance to cover you, and you should be more than entitled to your money back. I have another idea, the last thing a bank manager need's is bad publicity, tell him if the bank does not fully co-operate then you will take your custom elsewhere and will take your story to the paper's. I hope i have helped and that you get the result you are looking for GOOD LUCK remember the customer is alway's right. Could you please keep me posted on the outcome and i will have a word with my lawyer and see what advice he gives and i will get back to you, you could just look up my question i asked, go to answer it and put a bit in there to let me know or my email is [email]if you dont mind keeping me in the picture. And again GOOD LUCK.

Please - this is not a chat site. Don't use it as one and PLEASE stop posting your email address. That's not allowed. You continue to ask people to "keep you in the picture." Questions and answers are posted here and you will be advised when there is a new answer to the question.

Yes, you probably watch a lot of true crime shows. How someone got the numbers is immaterial.

The OP has to go IN PERSON to the branch where she does her banking and request an Affidavit of Loss (or something along those lines). She'll swear (in the presence of a notary public) that she did NOT use the card for these withdrawals, did not authorize the withdrawals, the card was not out of her possession. Anyone else who shares the card will have to do the same thing.

I do business with Chase. The Bank will accept these affidavits and most probably report the losses to the Police Department. The Police really won't care but there will be a report. The money will then be returned to the account.

I've had my card used in the past and that's been the procedure.

Threatening to put their name on TV really works only on TV, not in the real World. Chase is professional; act like a professional when dealing with them.

In my case I had overdraft charges due to unauthorized withdrawals and Chase removed those charges from my account, too.
    hrushka13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 09:18 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    It is relevant on how they got the numbers as Chase still hasn't returned the money because it is debit card and transaction was at ATM with PIN code. They closed the claim as we called them back to reopen it. Chase won't file it with Police-We do!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 09:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hrushka13 View Post
    Chase won't file it with Police-We do!
    Hello h:

If they don't make a police report, you make one. Clearly, you got ripped off. Obviously, the bank thinks something else. They think the account holder DIDN'T lose any money, and they're basing it on the use of the PIN. I'd sue them in small claims court, and let a judge decide. It's quick, cheap and easy.

You could, of course, try going up the chain of management at the bank. I'm not sure if you really DID that. I think you got stopped at your local branch... You can't be intimidated by them. ASK them directly WHO their manager is, and then talk to that person.

But, they don't make decisions like this off the cuff. I'm sure they looked LONG and HARD at your request, very possibly WITH their attorney's, and came to the conclusion they did. I don't think they're going to change their mind no matter HOW much you complain. Running it by a judge (filing your lawsuit) is your ONLY remedy.

excon
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Nov 13, 2010, 10:56 AM

Hello hrushka13

Something is not sounding right about this. If it happened like you said it did and IF you followed the proper procedures the money would have been put back.plain and simple.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 01:43 PM

I did not read Chases procedures, but Bank ATM cards are not like credit cards and I only know one or two banks that promise protection from illegal use.

Most consumer advice people always warn against using them and to only use real credit cards that do offer fraud protection.. *** but getting credit on them is still very hard ( personal knowledge)
    renequiroz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2010, 10:59 PM
    People I would definitely go to the police station and file a police report just so the bank believes more in you same thing is happening to me right now someone used my debit card and put about six hundred dollars on gas without me knowing I had the card in my possession what ill do is take the police report to washing ton mutual and embarrass them for not protecting us people I earn my money working hard and that is not right I will definitely do whatever I can to get my money back ill probably contact kcal 9 news to make a report on Washington mutual
    renequiroz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2010, 11:04 PM
    Comment on renequiroz's post
    U are right about this
    sharnrose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
    My brother is also a victim of Chase, a visitor to his home watched him he guesses when he went to the store and somehow got his pin then stole his card. The bank had the thieves on camera, we filed a police report but they are too busy to follow up they said. The bank will not cooperate at all and refuses to give him any of his money, he lives on a very small amount of social security, I had to lend him money to eat. I am going to tear up my atm card and I advise all to do the same or find out the hard way that banks are against you and for the thieves, guess that's their type of people and they stick together.
    We will have to go to court.
    sharnrose Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2011, 07:32 PM
    Comment on renequiroz's post
    Oh the thieves are walking around my brothers apt complex tonight, free as bird, police are worthless.
    If you're rich they might help you but if you're poor no one cares.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2011, 06:38 AM

I have no idea what this has to do with private investigations. You hired a private investigator and that person could not help you?

Who are you taking to Court? The thieves?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uncle Has Stolen the Trist Money [ 5 Answers ]

I have been battling my uncle in probate court for 2 and 1/2 years and finally had him removed as the executor to my grandmothers Trust. The court has appointed a new executor and ordered my uncle to turn over all the books and assets to the new executor. So he went to the bank where the trust...

Stolen Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hey My ex-boyfriend and I had been together for 8 months. However during that time he hadn't been working much. When food needed to be paid for and fuel, I paid for it. When he moved into his new place, I paid for the bed, sheets etc. Problem is, I'm now in debt of $2000. Money that he owes...

Stolen money and ring [ 1 Answers ]

In rreference to my question about my landlord stealing my money and engagement ring I was advised by a lawyer to send a demand letter to my exlandlord first. Do you think that is a good idea?

Stolen money [ 3 Answers ]

I had a friend who I helped out when he was in jail.I posted bail for him and later on he decided to jump bail and of course my money was lost because he didn't show up for court one day. Before he did all of this I let him barrow a lot of money, I mean a lot of money and he said he was going to...

View more questions Search