Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pricecb1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2004, 11:47 AM
    Spyware
    I can tell I have items running in the background and I've opened the msconfig; I check every box under the startup and apply but they do and ot go away. I need some basic help with this application; I'm afraid to delete or start without knowing what I'm doing. The computer runs constantly with the hourglass blinking beside my cursor; it feels like "stuff" is running and slowing me down considerably. HELP!! I do have spybot and have run and deleted but every time I rerun they are there again. Any suggestions.?
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Sep 26, 2004, 08:38 AM
    spyware
    Hi pricecb1,

Download Ad-aware 6, a free program that you can download at:

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Check for updates before running program. Then follow the directions here to do a full scan:

The following explains how to set Ad-aware's settings to perform a "Full Scan."

In Ad-aware click the Gear to go to the Settings area.

The following items should be on a green check, not on a red X.

Under the Scanning button:

Scan within archives

Under Memory & Registry, Check EVERYTHING

In Check Drives & Folders, make sure all of your hard drives are selected

Under the Advanced button, check ALL under Log detail level (this makes it easier for visitors to the Lavasoft Support Forums to see what options you have selected should you require assistance.)

Under the Tweak button...

Some of these may not be an available option, depending on your version of Ad-aware and your version of Windows. Do not be concerned if you cannot select a certain item.

In Scanning Engine:

Unload recognized processes during scanning

Include info about ignored objects in logfile, if detected in scan

Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include used command line parameters in logfile

In Cleaning Engine:

XP/2000: Allow unloading explorer to unload shell extensions prior to deletion

Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

UNCHECK: Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion

Click Proceed to save these settings. When you would like to perform a "Full Scan," switch the scan mode from SmartScan to Custom.

After running Ad-aware, you must reboot your computer. It may be necessary to run Ad-aware two or three times if you have a lot of spyware, rebooting each time in between.

Where it says,"In Ad-aware click the Gear to go to the Settings area", on the top of the Ad-aware window, there are 5 symbols, click on the one that looks like a gear.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 24, 2004, 02:54 PM
    You said that you CHECK every box under startup but you should be UNCHECKING the boxes under startup instead. By checking them, you only make the problem worse.

Secondly, I would first connect to the internet and go to www.trendmicro.com and run their free online virus scan. After the scan, I would download and run Giant Anti-Spyware as independent studies have shown that it is currently the best spyware remover on the market. You may download a free trial of the software at the link below. Just click on "Products" and then "Free Downloads." This product combined with the Spyware-Adware Removal Kit on the same site will provide a complete solution to your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spyware [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Can someone please help me. My computer has recently been infected with spyware and I think it is using Windows Messenger to send these files to and from my computer. I have done a virus scan and the file that appears is sq.ini I have deleted this file and my computer is still...

Spyware [ 3 Answers ]

What is , "Common hijacker?"

PurityScan... Spyware or nor Spyware? [ 5 Answers ]

On my computer this screen popped up and it said it was ready to install Purityscan wich I had no intention of installing. Sure it might be a good program, then again it might not be for the simple fact is that somehow it or something put a reg key on my computer. Normally I would know what it's...

Spyware [ 20 Answers ]

Help please, when I recently changed my desktop background picture I got a warning that my computer may be infected by spyware which covers my dektop background.When I click on the link it goes to a site called topantispyware.com/overview.php?38. Is this spyware or a virus and how can I get rid of...

Autoruns - spyware question, Delete spyware with "Autoruns", back again [ 3 Answers ]

I am using "autoruns", hoping to get rid of many spyware programs. I am attempting to manually remove some of the spyware (while not connected to internet) startup files along with corresponding registry file using "autoruns" . Problem is when I restart "autoruns" the spyware files have returned. ...

View more questions Search