Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lady10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
    What happens if I can't pay restitution? My restitution is $500,000 , 4,200 a month
    I went to court and in court they asked for restitution in the amount of $500,000, in court the judge said no she couldn't grant it, there was no way I could pay that unless I won the lottery. Well I go to jail get my probation papers and the restitution is on there I'm ordered to pay the 500,000 in payments of 4,200 a month. I will never have that money. I need to know what can happen to me a have a 1 year old that means the world to me. What do I need to do
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 12:48 PM

How did you get to have $500,000 in restitution in the first place and now suddenly you have zero money?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady10 View Post
    I went to court and in court they asked for restitution in the amount of $500,000, in court the judge said no she couldn't grant it... What do I need to do
    Hello L:

You need to appeal. IF the judge said what you say she said, the award is illegal. Contact your lawyer.

excon
    jussme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2011, 04:17 PM
    You will be given a financial earnings worksheet that will be placed in your probation file. Once you complete probation, the restitution will then be converted to a civil matter where the amount can be levied against your paycheck, property or anything else of value. Your best bet is to make sure you have a probation officer that can set you up on affordable monthly payments and then when you are released from probation you can continue with those payments. As long as you stick to the agreed payment schedule you should be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if I can't pay for criminal restitution [ 25 Answers ]

Can't pay restitution

Unable to pay restitution this month [ 4 Answers ]

Two years ago I was ordered my the court to pay $50,000 to a customer of mine who claim a loss of items that she claimed was worth that much that was taken by a former employee of mine during a moving job. Becase of the case, I was ordered by the P.U.C. that I could no longer legally operate...

Can I do jail time in lieu of 12,000 restitution in California [ 2 Answers ]

I owe 12,000 restitution from about 7 years ago, but I just can't afford it. My question is do you think if I go in and tell the judge that I just can't afford it I can do jail time in lieu of this?

If I can't pay my restitution in sc what happens to me? [ 1 Answers ]

I don't have the $200.00 this month I was supposed to pay for my restitution. I live in spartanburg sc. Am I going to be put in jail because I can't make the payment?

SC, 5years Probation and 15,000 restitution, concern girlfriend [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been on 5years probation and ordered to pay 15,000 in restitution to pay for victims hospital bills. He was also sentenced to 2yrs prison for the same crime(Assault w/intent to kill high aggravated nature). He served his time in prison and has paid 7,000 in restitution so far and...

View more questions Search