Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zoeday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 06:40 AM
    Pets in privately rented property
    Can my landlord can stop us from having a kitten in our flat, even though the last tenant had a cat that he knew about?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 13, 2010, 06:46 AM

Your landlord owns the property. If it does not say that you are allowed a pet in your rental contract than you will need to negotiate that with him.

Yes it is within his rights to say no pets allowed even if a former tenant had a pet.

This may be the reason why he says not pets because there was a problem with the former tenent's pet.

Shirley
    zoeday Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 07:22 AM
    Comment on Wildsporty's post
    My contract just says no pets without his consent and that he will not withhold unreasonably, and I do not believe there was any damage etc from the former tenants cat, but thank you for your response.
    Zoe
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeday View Post
    my contract just says no pets without his consent and that he will not withold unreasonably, and i do not believe there was any damage etc from the former tenants cat, but thankyou for your response.
    zoe
    Hello zoe:

You can challenge the truth in his "reasonableness" statement, by getting the cat, letting him evict you over it, and explaining it to the judge. If the judge thinks he's unreasonable, you'll get to stay and keep your cat. If not, you move.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 07:40 AM

"no pets without his consent and that he will not withold unreasonably" are these the exact words in your lease?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 13, 2010, 07:43 AM
    Offer to pay either a pet fee (non-refundable) or a pet deposit(refundable). Money talks. And for all you know the previous tenant may have paid to have a pet, too.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 13, 2010, 07:54 AM

You might also offer to pay for any damage your cat might do... perhaps to have the rugs cleaned?

I do have two rental houses and I have a clause that says pets upon permission. If I give permission I adjust the lease to specifiy 1 dog under 12 pounds or 1 cat. I also stipulate in the contract that any damage caused by the pet is the responsibility of the tenent.

Make sure if he does consent that you either have it in writing or your contract is adjusted.

Landlords are not pet haters, however, after replacing carpet twice in the one rental house, losing a tree and buying sod for the back yard I did have to think long and hard about allowing another pet.

Shirley
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 08:32 AM

The simple answer is yes, he can stop you, what previous tennants did or did not do have no bearing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oven/grill fire in rented property what happens now [ 1 Answers ]

My partner stay in rented accommodation and the over/grill went on fire, by chance he was quick to stop it and there was minimum damage. The cooker needs replaced and there is damage to the worktop, the landlord is refusing to fix this. It has come to our attention that there should be a fire...

1099-A Foreclosure of property: Rented out for the most part [ 1 Answers ]

Bought house in 2005 and lived in it less than 2 years(1-1/2 approx.) then rented it out for 2 years until July 2008. Renters moved out and house was abandoned/foreclosed by the bank. Now I get a 1099-A with Box 2: $220,000.00; Box 4 $233,980.32. Do I owe anything on this? Do I wait until a...

Removal of private property from rented apartment [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for the apartment management to remove personal property from an apartment because rent payment is late in the state of Texas?

Inspection of the property rented in California [ 4 Answers ]

I d like to know if as a tenant in a month to month contract in California in a townhouse, my landlord wants to inspect the property to check for any damage with a 24h email notice. Does CALIFORNIA statute law allow a landlord to inspect his tenant s place whenever he wants even though the...

Buying car privately [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Could anyone tell me what do I need to do when I buy a car privately. Thanks

View more questions Search