Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:10 AM
    Proposed Congressional Reform Act of 2012
    Congressional Reform Act of 2012

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six year Senate terms
    B. Six Two year House terms
    C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work. Or go to jail, if appropriate.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/13.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 13, 2010, 06:18 AM

Okay I agree with all the above... now how do we make it happen?

Shirley
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty View Post
    Okay I agree with all the above...now how do we make it happen?

Shirley
    THAT is going to be the hard part. The people that need to institute the changes are the very same people who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo and abuses they (by THEY I mean BOTH parties) created.

Oct 13, 2010, 06:37 AM

We try in Idaho, but the election is all but over before we get to vote.

Shirley
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 07:42 AM

Hello smoothy:

I agree. I also agree that we shouldn't kick dogs and we should help old people cross the street.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 18, 2010, 12:07 PM

I have a problem with the whole concept of term limits, as it assumes that there is no advantage to having experienced people around. You woudn't support term limits for the army would you (no officers with more than 12 years experience)? Or in the corporate world (no managers who have worked in the same company for more than 12 years)?

I think the real issue is how to make it so that incumbents don't have an unfair advantage over challengers in the elections, and the only way to do that is with strict campaign finance reform. That's not about to happen either.

The one place I could support term limits is in the leadership of the House and Senate. Make it so that the Speaker of the House and the Majority Leader of the Senate can only serve 6 years in those positions. Same thing with committee chairs. And make it so that a freshman in congress isn't handicapped compared to the old salts - so that your district isn't put at a disadvantage if you vote out the incumbent.
    RicPrideaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 01:37 PM
    I am in total agreement. We have not yet become a banana republic.
    RicPrideaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2011, 01:41 PM
    Let's maintain the "Of the people, for the people" concept
    NoMoreKoolAid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2011, 09:58 AM
    Yes. Absolutely.

In answer to ebains, problem with your theory is that with the Constitution being written as it was, the above question is the answer. Think how little experience the founders had as they wrote the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence. It doesn't require career politicians to run this country, it requires short terms of service for our country, it requires life experience, common sense, business experience and attention to detail - not political experience.

It is the political experience that has killed our liberty and replaced liberty with fraternity.

I have a friend who was a Senator in Ohio, served his promised 2 terms with a 98% scorecard and did so much for the state in the 70's, then retired as promised. He tore down left agenda, ended up being Majority Leader, his common sense approach to gov and regulations got him on the Sm Biz Advisory Board of Reagan's, the highest popularity in the state of any representative and pulled Ohio back from a brink. He did it through common sense and attention to detail. Not a kid lost their life, got an award or became sick without a personal letter or visit for him in his district, not a citizen turned away ever. We begged him to continue as our Senator, he could have easily replaced RINO Regula, but his belief was and remains citizen legislators. He went back to his landscape company and served politics in other ways, through his party, through Supreme Court reviews, etc. He is now late 70's and still serves America.

That is how our country is supposed to run. Common Sense men doing common sense things. We need to return our country to that and term limits is the best way.

To see what political life does to a person not of this mind, all u need to do is view this one video on Gov't Gone Wild http://governmentgonewild.org/thevideocongressdoesnotwantyoutosee

Jul 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
    Comment on NoMoreKoolAid's post
    Should say - Not a kid lost their life, got an award or became sick without a personal letter or visit FROM him in his district, not a citizen turned away ever.

Jul 16, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Comment on ebaines's post
    Please see my response to your response. Thanks!
    Indianlittle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Indianlittle- I am for term limits and getting back to the Constitution.
    No mor pay raises until Congress proves they are working for us..
    aaronl62 Posts: 1, Reputation: -1

Oct 5, 2011, 05:45 PM
    If all members of congress have term limits, and no pensions or health care, why wouldn't they spend their six to twelve years in office wielding the power and influence of their positions to provide themselves with a sweet little nest-egg when their terms of office are over? This proposition invites even more corruption and greater corporate influence than our current system. And do you think requiring congress-members to contribute to social security will fix anything? Yes, they ought to contribute, but money from a few hundred extra people won't make a difference. This proposal is fueled by spite. And Congress does deserve our spite, but why not spend your time and political energy on something more results oriented? None of these propositions will make government any better.
    JustCarter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 09:13 AM
    As to: 5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

The reference to the CPI should be changed to the formula used to calculate Social Security "so called" COLA.
    radoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
    I agree with the recommendation, but like everyone else said the question is how do we take it to the next step. Money talks, and unfortunately those of us answering this site probably do not have the money to make a lot of noise to make changes. I am doing my best to find out how to implement it since it does sound like a good answer to our problems.
    hcparker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Question is ? All the items listed for removal or change,, were they put in place by the Congressmen or Congresswomen or were they voted in by the public, If all the Job PERKS came about by congressional vote,, its clear that Congress is out for themselves and not the Public.

Aug 2, 2012, 08:33 AM
    I am not sure how the perks came about, however, they do need to be fixed.

If the Social Security, Medicare and Health Care system is good enough for the whole population of the U.S. and all the people these legislative entities are answering to than why should they need to have a different system?
    lmariemaglaya1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2012, 01:15 PM
    I thought that "Congressional Act of 2012" was going to be on the 2012 Ballot for the American people's vote. Isn't Warren Buffet & the like putting his support and money into making it happen? I hate getting elated over simple "wishful thinking."
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2012, 01:17 PM
    Hello people:

It's a MADE up right wing wish list. It's NOT REAL.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lmariemaglaya1 View Post
    I thought that "Congressional Act of 2012" was going to be on the 2012 Ballot for the American people's vote.
    Looks like a lot of people who purport to know how to fix the system have no idea how the system even works. Read the Constitution! There is no mechanism in the Constitution for a direct vote by the public on federal legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildsporty View Post
    If the Social Security, Medicare and Health Care system is good enough for the whole population of the U.S. and all the people these legislative entities are answering to than why should they need to have a different system?
    As for congressional perks - the house and senate are on the same social security plan as everyone else, and have been since 1984. Also the provisions of the Affordable Care Act also apply to them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What goes on in the Congressional showers ? [ 8 Answers ]

Eric Massa (D-NY) quit his seat in Congress last week . At first he floated the ballon that he was leaving because the cancer he had battled had come back. Then the story started going around that he had sexually harassed 2 male aides at a New Year's Eve wedding party . He left town ahead of...

Congressional oversight [ 4 Answers ]

What is congressional oversight, and what are the obstacles to effective oversight?

Congressional spending spree [ 6 Answers ]

Do we really need to spend billions more on bail outs and leave it to our children to pay for?

Congressional Reconstruction [ 2 Answers ]

What the congressional reconstruction greatest accomplishments

View more questions Search