Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beef82160 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 10:43 PM
    I want to know why you have to show over 2000 dollars to come to u.s. From ghana
    Why dose the woman I love have to show 2000$ at ghana before she can travel if I sent the ticket and paid her baggage and give her a few hundred dollars for pocket money to get here. Im the one paying the travel and she is coming here and stay with me at no expense to her,or any one else. So why should she need to show that kind of money to immigration there or to any one. She has her passport and visa,so why this other ****.and do you have good contact number for me to call and ***** about this to them and get permission for her to leave there cause I will never send money to any one any where with out writtten guarantee from a government official there and shouldn't need to do that anyway why can't they travel if they have papers and ticket why? Why? Why? Why?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 03:20 PM

Because far too many people come to "Visit" and never leave. Besides... its the USA, WE make the rules of who can and can't visit and under what conditions. You have to be careful who "arrainges" things and how they are "arrainged".

Those are some of the rules that have to be followed. People with no savings in their home country clearly don't travel for pleasure, and are unlikely to leave... It also matters what type of Visa she has... they all have limits as to how long you can stay.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 03:22 PM
    You are being scammed. Cease all contact with "her" (it could be a guy).
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 03:23 PM

Good point to raise... exactly WHO does this have to be shown to? If it's a US Embasy official it might be legitimate. Is it someone you actually knew before you came here? If you didn't know her as in know her IN your home country before you came here it very well might be a scam.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 14, 2010, 03:28 PM

This is one of the more common scams. The "love of your life" doesn't exist! Sorry to be the bearer of such news.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 04:00 PM

First if the passport and visa cost over 300 dollars, it is a scam for sure, Next airline tickets can and should be done prepaid, where they can not cash them , only use them.

Next normally no they don't need 2000 dollars to be able to leave Ghana to come to the US for a visit.

Oct 14, 2010, 04:28 PM

She has visa and passport,and i read it in some kind of agreement between the u.s. and ghana that u are to have 2000$ before they let you leave the country. Can you give me a good phone number to call immigration office there to find out i can not find any numbers to talk to anyone live. And i am the one sending the ticket so don't care about that eather. She and i want to know for a fact and some kind of proof that she will not be stopped at the airport there before i send the ticket cause i do not want to lose my money an ticket and her get stopped at the gate cause she don't have 2000$ to show them for travel money please go in to more detail and give me a number that some one will answer to find this out for positively make sure... thank you brian stevens
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 04:38 PM

She doesn't need to have $2,000. "She" is trying to scam you for money.
    She won't be stopped at the airport, because she isn't going to be going there.

Oct 14, 2010, 04:49 PM
    Can some one give me a number to call some one live at ghana west africa immigration to call and find out about this 2000$ dollar **** no one will answer that makes since I have talked to this woman for 2 yrs and she has asked me for nothing she has her passport and visa that she paid for I have not sent her nothing.and I know she has them cause she has scanned them and emailed them to me so we just want to know why the immigration wants 2000$ to show at the airport immigration before she can board the plane I'm gettting tired of typing same question over and over with the response of she don't need it or it's a scam.I have said time and time again I read it in some agreement between the u.s. And ghana and now I can't find the sight where I read it .so I know there is something to do with it.so can some one please give me or get me a phone number to talk to some one live at the accra ghana airport immigration office and find out.thats what I want to know now just get me that number and ill check myself no one here wants to take the time to do it for me.so please just get me the number there and ill doit myself.or a number for some one here in the states that would no.thanks brian.
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2010, 04:54 PM

Please allow me to give you some information about the non-immigrant visa application process.

All Ghanaians need a US visa to travel to the US . If a person would like to visit the US then they would need to apply for a Non-Immigrant visa. The only fee associated with this visa is a $100 non-refundable Machine Readable Visa (MRV) fee which is to be paid at Standard Chartered Bank in Ghana. Once this fee is paid the person would get a receipt from the Bank. Once she has the receipt then she would need to schedule an appointment online and complete the application online. The applicant would then appear for their scheduled interview (no one can appear on behalf of the applicant). There are no medical reports, examination, declaration fees, travel insurance, HIV tests, blood tests or vaccinations that are required for a Non-Immigrant visa.

A travel agent or travel/tour company would not be able to acquire a visa for a traveler. The person who is traveling would have to appear in person for their interview. A travel agent would only be able to arrange air travel, ground transportation and hotel/motel reservations not the visa.

The only thing that the Ghanaian, who wants to travel, would need to get from Ghana Immigration Service is a Ghanaian passport. A Ghanaian passport generally costs about $11. There is no declaration fee or certain amount in a bank account that is required by the Ghana Immigration Service and/or the Ghanaian Government before a Ghanaian would be allowed to board a flight and leave the country.

United States citizens should be alert to attempts at fraud by persons claiming to live in Ghana who profess friendship or romantic interest over the Internet. Correspondents who quickly move to discussion of intimate matters could well be the inventions of scammers. If they are after your money, eventually they will ask for it.

Once a connection is made, the correspondent typically asks the U.S. citizen to send money for living expenses, travel expenses, or 'visa costs'. Sometimes, the correspondent notifies the American citizen that they or a close family member has suffered an “accident” and is in need of immediate monetary assistance to cover medical bills. Other variations of this confidence scam have emerged of late.

Dating scammer Ms. Rhoda Addo from Accra, Ghana

Oct 14, 2010, 10:41 PM
    What if the person has a u.s. Passport and u,s, visa why do there immigration dept in ghana want them to have 2000$ to board the plain.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2010, 03:48 AM

Why can't you understand that is a scam to get money from you? Do some research and you will see hundreds of reports of these scams.

Oct 15, 2010, 05:17 AM
    Some one out there answer the god damn question
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 15, 2010, 05:20 AM
    Beef, sorry dude, but this SCAM is older than the hills.
    Seriously you are being PLAYED!!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2010, 05:25 AM
    Beef,
    Perhaps this is a good time to reflect back on why you believed that someone you never met but only chatted online is worth this much money to you.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2010, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beef82160 View Post
    what if the person has a u.s. Passport and u,s, visa why do there immigration dept in ghana want them to have 2000$ to board the plain.
    #1... she doesn't have a US passport... she would have to be a US citizen to have that, she would have a passport from Ghana... and IF she had a US passport she would not need a VISA.

You never met her in person have you? I'm going to assume you didn't know her personally... not online, not via letters, not via telephone... before you came here.

If you didn't, sorry to tell you you have been scammed... that means nobody is actually demanding that money but the scammer. THey will take the money and you will never se it or them again, and they are doing it to other people too. That means you bought a ticket for someone you are never going to meet. Let me guess... you paid THEM to get the visa etc. YOU didn't make the application HERE to the INS HERE that you paid the INS HERE to process right? That's what scammed means. They convinced you to send money for something they are never going to deliver.

They can live pretty good for that much money over there. Particularly if they are playing other men for suckers too. Which I bet is the case.

You wouldn't be the first... and you certainly won't be the last.

You left out important information and have flip-flopped on others, like that you never actually met this person... its not like you were dating her for years before you came here which would have proved she was real.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2010, 07:45 AM

If you have researched it why don't you just send her the money. After all, you've researched it. It's an agreement, apparently.
    Then when you come crying back to us, we can say 'I told you so'.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 07:53 AM

If she had a US passport, she would not need a US visa to get back into the US, and of course she would be a US citizen if she had a US passport.

If is is a resident of Ghana, she would have a Ghana passport, and a US Visa to visit the US. ( and those still only cost less than 300 dollars, or 400 if they rush it in one week)

And there is no 2000 requirement, that is all part of the scam used in ghana,

In Ghana, there are rooms full of old ladies and men who do nothing but set at computers all day and pretend to be beautiful women. ( and a lot of them white women which is rare in Ghana) They have either bought, stolen or faked, passports to use in the scam. And the story goes like this.

They find people on various online dating sites, and over two or three months fall in love with you. But they need normally 1000 dollars or so for passport, 300 dollars for a medical exam and 200 or so for a visa.
    Then normally on the way to the airport, they get robbed, or get put in the hospital or they are arrested by the crooked Ghana government and need bail money or bribe money.

And you are lucky the 2000 exit money is cheap, so they must know you are not rich, normally they ask for 10,000, which of course they promise to give you as soon as they get to the US.

They keep coming up with more and more reasons for money, till you figure out you have been scammed.

****** of course variations are that the are US citizens stuck there and need money for this or that. To get back to the US.
    Which is a lie of course, since all they do is go to the US embassy there for help then.

****** Go to the US embassy web site for Ghana, it tells you all about the ghana fraud.

Or just Google ghana dating fraud and 1000's of pages, even with shared and used photos will show up.

Many of the women's photos they use are stolen off other dating sites using pretty women.

So we are telling you, this is not real, the person on the other end of the computer is most likely not even a girl, or if it is, most likely a 60 year old grand mother earning 1 dollar a hour to scam people. The documents they emailed you ( bet they did to prove their point) are either faked or stolen or a combination of both.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2010, 08:05 AM

Anyway, I highly doubt no matter what we say, you aren't going to listen. Maybe contacting these may get you the answer you want:

Ghana Embassy in the USA: 202-686-4520 Latest News | Ghana

Also, from the USA Embassy in Ghana, it states this:
    "If the correspondent provides an image of a purported U.S. visa as proof of intention to travel, the U.S. citizen may contact the United States Embassy in Accra at [email protected] to ascertain the validity of the visa."

So, contact them and see if the VISA is even real.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Oct 15, 2010, 10:27 AM

Brian,

No funds required to show to GIS before departure from Ghana. Ghana Immigration Service :: FAQs

Call them directly for confirmation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Late 90s/ Early 2000 sci fi TV show [ 12 Answers ]

Late 90s/ Early 2000 Sci Fi t.v show I'm looking for a t.v show that aired a few years ago. It was a Sci Fi show of some sort and I've been trying to find it these past few days. All I can remember is the show was a little like the X files but I know it wasn't. There was I think 2 main...

Early 2000 cartoon show in which a girl lived in a hilly region with her grandfather [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know the name of the cartoon network serial... the scene is a hilly village like area, a house and there lived a little girl with her grandfather... and a friend of her named peter... so can anyone help what the name is?

Late 90's early 2000 alien TV show? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember a show that used to be on, where aliens lived on earth with humans. Some of the humans worked for the aliens and they had special live "alien weapon" creatures that attached to their arms and shot out a blast of energy or what ever.

Need Name of Show for 1990's to Early 2000 TV Cartoon Sci Fi [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember the name of a TV cartoon. All I can remember about it was that it was on in the late 1990's or early 2000 era and that it had a civil war going on between Earth and Mars. I think aliens attacked so the Earthlings and Martians joined forces. The guys from mars were blue and...

$2000.us dollars to leave ghana? [ 3 Answers ]

My girlfriend it's ghanaian citizent, and we pretend to live in mexico (where I'm from). She has her passport, visas, even her airplane ticket already. Now she said that she needs like $2000us for declaration to allowed to bort the airplane and leave ghana. Is that true? and how I could know if it...

View more questions Search