Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Oct 12, 2010, 08:45 PM
    Is refinancing good for us ?
    My son wants to know if refinancing is to his benefit based on the following:
    Mortgage amount is 129K at 5.5% interest 30 yr fixed. His monthly payment now is $970. The refinance deal will be for 30 yr fixed at 5.2% and refinance charges (closing costs) are about $5K which will be added to the mortgage. So the new refinanced laon will be about $134K and the new monthly payment will be $919. We are not sure if this is a good deal. Thanks for your help.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 13, 2010, 07:02 AM

I just remortgaged two rental properties and my mortgage broker told me that unless you can drop the interest rate by a whole percentage point it is probably not worth it to refinance.

Shirley
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 05:45 AM

5.2% sounds high for a 30-year fixed rate mortgage. If his credit is good he should be able to get around 4.5%.

To determne whether it's worthwhile refinancing you need to know what his long-term plans are, and how much of his original loan has he paid down already. If he expects to stay in the house for a long time and build eqiuty, and if the original loan is already several years old (i.e. he has a lot less than 30 years left to pay it off), then I would say he is probably better off just lettting the old mortgage stay in force, as the total amount of interest left to pay on it may be less than on a new 30-year loan. But if his existing loan still has close to 30 years left on it, then it would seem to be a good move to refinance.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 07:41 AM

He is getting no where, he is saving 51 dollars a month but paying an additional 5000 dollars

So it is going to take about 10 years of payments to even make up the 50 dollar a month savings.

1. the 5000 closing for refi is way to high ( my opinion anyway)

2. not nearly enough interest savings.

I would assume he may not have perfect credit since the rate is still high in today's market place.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 07:59 AM

I agree with all, interest rate is not good and savings on payments is quickly offset, do not do it. However, shop around I have seen 30 yr. fixed for below 4.5% which is your target.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinancing home [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I was late on my mortgage payment and I explained to the guy that I was trying to refinance and would be paying him out of that money. But he sold my home out from under me, to some one that works at his company.CAN THAT HAPPEN??

Refinancing how soon can I? [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a home in Las Vegas, and I bought it at a lower price then the appriased value. I would like to refinance it right a way and pull out cash is this possible?

Refinancing [ 4 Answers ]

I am getting great advice on refinancing my mortgage. I guess if I could get the deal in writing before I signed any final papers. I would be in great shape. Preventing them from changing figures the last minute. Currently I have a fixed 30 year mortgage. Balance is $49,000 I also have a $17,000...

Refinancing [ 1 Answers ]

We moved to Florida 16 months ago and are planning on moving back to Iowa. It is not what we thought. We sold our home in Iowa and the market was starting to fall. So we didn't make a lot. We bought a home down here because everyone kept saying the market was going to go up fast. Big mistake. ...

Refinancing [ 10 Answers ]

I have a 10.5% fixed mortgage. But to refinace it to a 6.5% rate Would not be worth it. With various fees, sometime they called them lenders fees, closing cost, points. And then you have the interest rate Which depends of your credit rating. The mortgage payment is only $474.00 a month. It's...

View more questions Search