Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ambie123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 01:44 PM
    Can I move out at 16 without parents permission
    I'm 16 years old and I want to move in with my boyfriens parents they are okay with it they even said they will help me to move in and everything but my parents are not fully oka with it but I still want to can I legally move out without their permision?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 01:58 PM

The age of majority - when you become legal age - is 18 in Ontario. You are under their care and control until that age, unless you request to be emancipated.

Age of Majority in Canada - Definition of Age of Majority in Canada

Oct 12, 2010, 02:01 PM

Well is is still legal for me to move out ?
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:04 PM

Well, did you read what I posted? No. You're under the age of majority. Your parents control you until you are legal age, which is 18.

If they want to let you go, yes, they can. Are they still responsible for you until age 18? Yes. Would they be foolish not to request that you be emancipated? Yes.

Oct 12, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Can I drop out of school if I'm 16 and have a job without getting in trouble?
    Well I'm 16 have my licence and I have a job can I drop out of school without getting in trouble by the law ?
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:10 PM

I don't under what having your license has to do with dropping out of school. A driver's license?

From what I can read, yes, you can withdraw from school at 16.

I have asked that his be combined with your other question because I think they are related - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...on-516056.html

Oct 12, 2010, 02:13 PM

Well does that still go if I live in canada

Oct 12, 2010, 02:16 PM

Well my cousin did the same thing but she had to go to court for it she got probation and everything cause she droped out will that happen to me?
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ambie123 View Post
    well does that still go if i live in canada

What do you mean does that still "go" if you're in Canada? You posted where you live. I answered for where you live.

What don't you understand?

Did you READ the info that I posted? It's very clearly for Canada.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ambie123 View Post
    well my cousin did the same thing but she had to go to court for it she got probation and everything cause she droped out will that happen to me?

I already told you - you can drop out of school in 16 in Canada.

I have no idea why your cousin's case was not treated according to Ontario Law - which is what you asked about.

I suspect her situation was not the same as yours... or at least not the same as you posted.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 04:18 PM

Looks like a good reason to stay in school, they obviously have little idea how to understand.

Lets clear it up.

1. no you can not move out unless your parents would allowit

2. you can not quit school unless your parents would allow that also.

3. your parents can keep you from seeing your boyfriend if they want to

4. if boyfriend and/or his parents try to do anything against parents wishes, they can be charged with various crimes such as interference with custody
    brandonfx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 08:48 PM
    If you are over fourteen in ontario you can legally move in with someone over 18 with parent consent then when you turn 16 you can legally move out on your own without parent consent you have the right to all your credentials and personal belongings and you can even call the cops if your parents won't let you leave. I know bro I did it so don't say anything if you don't know what your talking about
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonfx View Post
    if you are over fourteen in ontario you can legally move in with someone over 18 with parent consent then when you turn 16 you can legally move out on your own without parent consent you have the right to all your credentials and personal belongings and you can even call the cops if your parents wont let you leave. I know bro i did it so dont say anything if you dont know what your talking about

Well, bro, while this is fascinating info it is also incorrect and illegal information - posted on a legal site.

Here - again - are the ages of majority in Canada: Alberta - 18; British Columbia - 19; Manitoba - 18; New Brunswick - 19; Newfoundland and Labrador - 19; Northwest Territories - 19; Nova Scotia - 19; Nunavut - 19; Ontario - 18; Prince Edward Island - 18; Quebec - 18; Saksatchewan - 18; Yukon Territory - 19

Please post the law as you understand it and apparently lived it - I cannot find anything along the lines you describe.

At ANY age parents can move to emancipate a child and pretty much walk away - is that what happened in your case? Likewise, parents can agree to another person becoming the child's guardian. Maybe that's the situation but there is NO law that guarantees a child the right to move out at 14 and call the Police on his/her parents at 16.

I note that Canadian Q&A sites address this fairly regularly - it appears to be a rumor.

However, if you have the law, please post it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm 17 and pregnant. Can I get married without parents permission? [ 10 Answers ]

Im 17 years old and about 3 months pregnant. I live in CA and the baby's daddy lives 5 hours away in LA. I want to go move with him since I hate living at home. There is no point in me staying here. I know one legal way is if were married. My parents would never sign the papers and give me off too...

Parents permission? [ 1 Answers ]

Would a 17 year old need parents permission to move from England to Ireland to live with their uncle?

How do I get permission to move out of state? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Indiana and wish to move to TN with 2 minor children for several reasons. I am divorced with full physical custody. However, we share joint legal custody. Their father will not consent to my moving with the children. I cannot afford an attorney. I am aware of the information needed to...

View more questions Search