Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawgtownme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 01:00 PM
    Unemployment compensation and Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation payments
    I'm currently receiving unemployment compensation from the State, my previous employer will begin sending my annual Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation checks in a few months. They cannot delay this, I've asked. The annual Top Hat check will be equivalent to about 1 years worth of unemployment benefits. Will I lose money from unemployment because of this payment? Is there anyway I can avoid losing the unemployment conpensation checks legally without my previous employer's cooperation? Can the Top Hat money be rolled to a tax sheltered account, or any other account, and thus avoid losing unemployment compensation?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 01:11 PM

You can't have both so decide which one you can live without as the Top Hat money is considered income and would essentially cancel out your UE benefits. You must report this money to UE as income or face fines and penalties from UE once they do find out.

Also, you need to be looking for employment and hopefully not worrying about UE benefits or Top Hat money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment Compensation Question [ 3 Answers ]

My niece was recently informed that she was going to be laid off from her job in Illinois. The Wednesday before the Friday she was to be laid off she had a verbal confrontation with another employee and decided she had enough so she gathered her things and walked out (quit). Has she jeapordized...

Unemployment compensation Florida... From W2 to 1099 [ 8 Answers ]

Recently my employer of 3yrs decided to shut down their trucking company and laid off all of their drivers, who were W2'd, but offered me a position in the office working for a different company as a 1099'd truck broker. I will not receive any compensation until I develop my own accounts which...

IT-203 NY form, line 13 - unemployment compensation [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a NJ resident who collected unemployment benefits from NJ up until April 2009. In May 2009, I was gainfully employed in NY from May through end of 2009. When completing the IT-203 for NY State, line 13 - unemployment compensation - do I need to enter any amount since the unemployment money I...

Soc. Sec. Disability and Deferred Compensation [ 1 Answers ]

I am 59 years old, permanently disabled for one year now and currently receiving monthly Social Security Disability payments, along with monthly payments from two long term private disability policies. My former employer set up a "deferred compensation" program which generally is paid when an...

Unemployment Compensation [ 14 Answers ]

I lost my job 4 months ago. I got tired of sitting at home and took a job which was not categorized as "suitable work". I was trying to make an attempt to start receiving an income. After 4 days on the job, I experienced pain from an injury which did not occur on the job. My doctor provided a...

View more questions Search