Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vdiesse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2010, 07:01 AM
    Can I sell abandoned renters belongings in Illinois to recoup unpaid rent
    Renters abandoned property & all belongings 6wks ago- refuse to answer phone - have made no attempts to obtain belongings - had even left live animals in the house uncared for in the middle of the summer - have not paid rent - left the area - accepted a certified letter which outlined disposal of belonging after a given date - made o attempt to pay money owed or obtain belongings - can I legally sell the belongings to recoup my monies they owe
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2010, 07:34 AM

From this site:
    Illinois Uniform Residential Landlord Tenant Act Law - Residential Landlord and Tenant - Landlord Tenant

Rules regarding abandonment of premises.

Abandonment is typically defined as absence of the tenant from the premises for a period when rent has not been paid. Provided the statutory definition is met, a Landlord is allowed to repossess the premises and store tenant’s belongings. A Tenant may recover same before the expiration of a certain time, but must reimburse landlord for the cost of storage.

This site also has the actual code:
    http://www.leestreet.com/lease/CIVIL%20PROCEDURE.php

You need to follow the process but then you can sell the property. Have you sent a pay or quit notice?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Do you have a written application/lease with these tenants? Have you tried calling an emergency contact?

Scott provided you with great links. Also, for future reference, if you're not a member of your local apartment association I would highly recommend it. It will give you access to use their lease which very carefully and specifically outlines all of these types of issues, and you'd have the support of your local association in walking through the steps. Actually, I'd look them up and call them about this. They can provide you with very useful information about how to proceed.

Just from a practical standpoint... As you proceed, VERY carefully and thoroughly document everything. That's kind of why I was asking if you'd tried contacting an emergency contact. If they ever were to come back looking for their stuff and wound up suing you, the more you can show what you tried to do, the stronger your case will be. You might even make a video, walking through the unit showing what all they left behind. There's a landlord in our local apt assn who recently went through a similar situation and after months the tenant came back claiming all kinds of stuff they'd left that never was in the unit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant who has abandoned the home, what can I do with his belongings. [ 8 Answers ]

Help! We own a home in Virginia and has had it rented for several months. A signed lease was done in January 2010, however he stopped paying rent in June. He turned off all utilities in July... but his belonging are in the house. Legally what am I suppose to do to get them out. He moved to...

Abandoned belongings Texas [ 5 Answers ]

I had a friend living with me for close to 6 years. We had no rental agreement. I am the homeowner. He owes me $2600 in unpaid rent. He has told friends and posted to his blog that he has moved. This was also confirmed by the mailman. Many of his belonging are still in my house. A note was left...

Roommate has abandoned belongings and has not paid rent [ 5 Answers ]

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with two other roommates. One roommate's rent check bounced in mid July, and has been AWOL since then and we have no way to reach him. He has not paid rent for the months of July and August (today is August 11). We know he is alive and well, but he will not return...

Renters rights when the owner wants to sell [ 3 Answers ]

What are the rights of a renter in Maryland, when the owner wants to sell? And what if the lease was month - month? Does the renter have any rights in this situation?

View more questions Search