Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fianchetto Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Just for fun... Help Zeus measure his band
    I, the somewhat mighty and moderately powerful Zeus decided to improve on that Other Guy's work by making the globe of the Earth a perfect sphere. I then hired a sub-contractor named Moses to part the resultant global ocean at the equator to form two great seas, leaving dry land between. I saw then an image of Saturn from the Cassini probe and thought it would be jolly nice to have a band about the Earth. So, I put a band of silver upon the surface of the Earth, at the equator, Moses having given me plenty of room to work. I saw the pics of Saturn again and realised that its rings were of larger diameter than the planet. So, I increased the length of my band by 3 inches. Now the band hovers above the surface of the planet by some amount. I wish to measure its altitude - but which instrument would best suit my needs?

a> an interferometer
    b> a micrometer
    c> a ruler
    d> an altimeter

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    s2tp Posts: 299, Reputation: 61

Jan 1, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Uh wild guess... Altimeter?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 1, 2007, 03:13 PM
    A ruler - or a micrometer if you wanted to be accurate? :p

Jan 1, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Hehe the only reason I guessed it is cause I know I am always giving the pilots the Altimeter so they can monitor their altitude... so I guess its not too wild of a guess... hehe

(I am an Air Traffic Controller)
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Jan 1, 2007, 03:19 PM
    A micrometer is used for thickness -- lets go with the simple good old ruler.

Jan 1, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    a ruler - or a micrometer if you wanted to be accurate? :p
    Zeus says there should be a mathematical explanation for your answer, should he acquire more length of silver band to amend to the current one.

Jan 1, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s2tp
    hehe the only reason I guessed it is cause I know I am always giving the pilots the Altimeter so they can monitor their altitude...so I guess its not too wild of a guess...hehe

(I am an Air Traffic Controller)

The key is to determine what distance is involved and to select the appropriate instrument -

Interferometer - millionths of inch
    (inside) micrometer - thousandths of an inch
    Ruler - inches to ~ hundredths of an inch
    Altimeter - feet

Jan 1, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Looked up my answer and got some definitions;

Altimeter: An instrument used to measure the height above sea level. An instrument that indicates the altitude of an object above a fixed level. Pressure altimeters use an aneroid barometer with a scale graduated in altitude instead of pressure.

Interferometer:An instrument that employs the interference of light waves to measure the wavefront.

Micrometer: a metric unit of linear measurement equivalent to one-thousandth of a millimeter or one-millionth of a meter, it is the common dimension used to measure the length of glochidia and juvenile mussels

Ruler:A ruler is an instrument used in geometry to measure short/medium distances and/or to rule straight lines.

OK so I stand by my original answer... altimeter :) I actually learned stuff by searching all that.. yay me, today is a success... haha

Jan 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Aaah OK, got it, thanks Fianchetto

Jan 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s2tp
    aaah ok, got it, thanks Fianchetto

EXCELLENT! Its an arithmatic problem, not a logic puzzle!

Jan 1, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Haha well arithmetic has always been a struggle for me... that word just makes the hair on my neck stand up... haha OK I also struggle with chronic exaggeration.. :p

Jan 1, 2007, 04:05 PM
    I, the somewhat mighty and moderately powerful Zeus, being to some degree superior to you mere mortals, have done the math (better than you, of course) and being fairly generous, deliver unto you this Hint: No matter how big the original band, increasing the cirumference by 3" will ALWAYS result in the SAME change to the radius.

Jan 1, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Since you mortals are obviously not up to the challenge, I, the somewhat mighty and moderately powerful Zeus, have chosen to perhaps reveal the answer and its rationale to you in a day or two.. IF , that is, I deem you worthy to know the secrets of the gods. Bwahahahhahahahh! <<<add background llightning and thunder cracks for effect HERE>>>
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 12:43 AM
    3 / 2pi = 0.5 inches ish. That's how I got my answer before...

I know I did this some years ago with a physics teacher - and the answer was surprising - but now I find it utterly obvious

Maybe science has broken me in

Edit - okay I suppose it is surprising that no matter the diameter of the ball, the same increase of radius will happen, but I still find that obvious. I am a slave to science :(

Jan 2, 2007, 02:14 AM
    3 / 2pi = 0.5 inches ish. that's how i got my answer before...

I know I did this some years ago with a physics teacher - and the answer was suprising - but now I find it utterly obvious

Maybe science has broken me in

Edit - okay I suppose it is suprising that no matter the diameter of the ball, the same increase of radius will happen, but I still find that obvious. I am a slave to science :(
    I find the distance of ~.48" obvious, but the fact that it doesn't matter the size of the circle quite surprising...
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 02:23 AM
    I Don't think that your question underlines this, it would have been better to ask how the distance from the surface on a tennis ball compares to the distance from the surface of the earth, upon adding 3inches to the circumference - This would underline that the answer is the same - and I'm sure more people would get it wrong by not running the numbers or thinking about it :)

The answer is certainly not immediately intuitive :)

It would be great to have that ring spinning and to use it for transport though ;D

Jan 2, 2007, 02:38 AM
    I Don't think that your question underlines this, it would have been better to ask how the distance from the surface on a tennis ball compares to the distance from the surface of the earth, upon adding 3inches to the circumference - This would underline that the answer is the same - and I'm sure more people would get it wrong by not running the numbers or thinking about it :)

The answer is certainly not immediately intuitive :)
    Thanks for the critique - I suppose that Zeus could have used a model for himself and allowed his admirers to form the conclusion. :)
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Just a quick question - why Zeus? :p

Jan 2, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Just a quick question - why Zeus? :p
    1> How else better to "compete" with the "Other Guy" and make the joke work?

2> To avoid the risk of offense to fundamentalist Christians with what might be considered blasphemy (and thus possibly shifting the focus of the question from mathematics to religion).
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Hah, fair enough, It just seems to me that Greek gods were fairly rubbish. Zeus just throws lightning around all day.

Maybe the titans would have been better for the question, since they created the universe in the Greek mythos.

Aaannyways, I do agree with avoiding the religious slant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Any way to measure electricity usage by circuit [ 13 Answers ]

My electric bill has been really high! Sometimes reaching over $600 for a 2400 sq ft house. I thought it was the cost of electricity and my family constantly using the central air conditioner. However last month due to some remodeling my central air system has been disconnected and my bill only...

How do you measure the strength of a nonlinear relationship? [ 2 Answers ]

The correlation coefficient r measures the strength of a linear relationship between ordered pairs (xi,yi). Suppose you are testing the strength of a non-linear relationship. How would you modify the formula for the calculation of r? To save you time, here is one representation of the formula...

I want to measure [ 6 Answers ]

We would like to have new windows but I would like to know what size and how many I need. Where should I measure to get the right heighth and width. Is it all right to buy windows from Lowe's or Home Depot? The Sash & Storm guy said that their windows are second rate, why is this? I would like to...

Measure 11 [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I live in Oregon and I was just wondering if somebody could please send me a link or something on all of measure 11. I already know what is on there but if someone could please send me something that has all of it on there, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

View more questions Search