Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hwalters12 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 05:18 PM
    Why does my daughter cries when her grandmother comes around
    Any ideas on why my daughter cries every time her grandmother comes around even though my mother has been around her since birth but now cries every time she comes around my daughter will not accept anything juice or treats from my mother she cries and pushes it away but soon as her step mom or anyone else or even myself give the same thing to her she'll accept
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2010, 05:20 PM

Has your mother changed perfumes, bath soap or anything similar? Has she had a medical checkup recently? It could be as simple as a new smell that irritates the baby.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 03:48 AM

It addition to what ScottGem suggested: Does her grandmother babysit her often? If so, it could be that she associates her coming around with separating from you. It can even be that she just perceives the potential for separation even if grandma doesn't babysit often.

Is she fine with her after she has been there for awhile? How long has it been going on?
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 12, 2010, 06:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Has your mother changed perfumes, bath soap or anything similar? Has she had a medical checkup recently? It could be as simple as a new smell that irritates the baby.
    That reminds me of when my daughter was small. I had just had a bath and was wearing a towel on my head when I tried to feed her. She howled and completely refused to go anywhere near the breast. I eventually guessed the problem, took the towel off, and draped the T-shirt I had been wearing, pre-bath (with my usual smell on it) , over my shoulder and all was well. It surprised me at the time just how much the change in smell and appearance upset her.

Has your mum changed her appearance if not her smell? I have found new glasses or a new hairdo can upset babies, I presume because they are so face orientated.

Oct 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Comment on QLP's post
    No she's been the same person but my daughter just started doing it and she is 2 years old she cries when my mom comes around but when she go near anyone else she fines

Oct 12, 2010, 04:42 PM
    Comment on DoulaLC's post
    Well we try to take her over to spend time but she just cry cry cry so we end up taking her back
    Anopersuser Posts: 48, Reputation: 0

Oct 14, 2010, 10:14 AM
    How old is your daughter.

Oct 15, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Comment on Anopersuser's post
    She is 2
    Laisa Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Oct 15, 2010, 03:05 PM

She doesn't like her. She is entitled to that.
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 16, 2010, 04:54 AM

I'm not sure we can get to the bottom of why this has happened. I can only suggest that you ask your mum to rebuild the relationship slowly. Have your mum keep coming around to your house but don't push things in terms of what you expect your daughter to accept. Just go with whatever your daughter is comfortable with and gradually build on that. I know it must be upsetting for your mum but I am sure in time it will improve.
    Laisa Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Oct 16, 2010, 05:19 AM

Children have very strong likes and deslikes. I remember that for years I would run away from a female cousin. She used to kiss me too much and perhaps I felt that innaporpriated somehow when I was 3 or 4 years old.
    annie1609 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 12:01 PM
    I have exactly the same thing with my daughter who is 16months old. She sceams at my mum if she comes near her or even talks to her. I can't understand it and it really upsets me and even though my mum doesn't show it, I think it upsets her too. :(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 21 months old daughter cries when we take her into a restaurant. [ 3 Answers ]

My 22 months old daughter gets herself in a right state of crying fearfully when we take her out to places such as restaurants. She gets upset when people come to the house and even with relatives she has known for ages! Tried comforting her when she gets in a state and attempting to occupy her...

Aunt and Grandmother enabling my daughter [ 6 Answers ]

I have a daughter who lives with me and she is 23 years old. She had a 1.5 pound baby two years ago. I was there for my daughter through everything. I also stayed at the hopital for 3 months during my granddaugher recovery. Background about my daughter: She has not had a job in 3 years and has...

Custodial grandmother being harassed by daughter for custody [ 1 Answers ]

I have had legal temporary custody of my two grandchildren for over 3 1/2 years, and they were living with me for almost a year prior to that without any paperwork. DFAC in Toombs Co GA placed them in my care for almost a year before I received custody which was a temporary order because the mother...

Disrespectful 27 old daughter and grandmother [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 27 year old daughter that is bipolar, still in college and 2 kids. Her father and I divorced when she was 5. Her father was an alcoholic and died when she was 15 due to liver complications. I have been the only constant in her life besides my parents. I have tried to raise her and...

View more questions Search