Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BKByon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 09:52 AM
    Is it illegal or legal to resell toys?
    Dear Attorney,

Hi I'm Byon. I'm trying to fund-raise for my high school by indirectly reselling toys. Indirectly meaning: I will add some LED into the toy and resell it for a higher price. Is this illegal or legal? If its not, in which code of law does it say I can resell toys on my condition?

Please email me back.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

Byon>Removed<
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 10:24 AM

Used toys are sometimes given to charities and given away. Why would anyone buy used toys ? What is LED ?

Oct 11, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Dear tickle,

Thank You for your reply, but you still haven't answered my question yet.

Sincerely,

Byon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:01 PM

And you have not answered the follow up, we often need more info.

Do you have permission of the toy company, will you be giving them other names.

Oct 11, 2010, 04:11 PM
    Dear Fr_Chuck,

Thank You for your reply. The toy of this subject is "Iron Man 2 Arc Light." Website is www.hasbro.com/ironman. Its made in China, and the toy is copied from Marvel's Ironman. For giving names or any other conditions, I will follow legal ways. If its illegal to name toys, I will not. And no I haven't asked Marvel Company for the permission. What should I do to legally sell my used toy that's upgraded with LED? Or is it okay now?

Sincerely,

Byon.

Oct 11, 2010, 04:13 PM
    Dear Tickle,

LED is Light Emitting Dioide. It's a device in a flashlight, light bulb, almost everything in the house that produces electric light.

Sincerely,

Byon.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:50 PM

Dear BK, thank you,I just didn't connect LED with used toys. :) Now I am sure that would be unsafe for children in an old toy. So what he is doing could be illegal and totally unacceptable. There are other safe ways of raising money for something like this.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:58 PM

This is from the families.com website :

It has been a bit hush hush up until now, but the U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission has responded to angry parents who want dangerous lead kept away from our children. As a result, the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act has been passed into law. This would require that all toys and children's clothing be evaluated by a third party for lead before they are sold.

The implication to the resale industry and ordinary folks like ourselves is that there is no provision that excludes already existing toys and clothing from the law. Thrift stores and homeowners who want to resell their goods will probably not be hiring a third party to inspect their stuff.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 05:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BKByon View Post
    Dear tickle,

Thank You for your reply, but you still haven't answered my question yet.

Sincerely,

Byon.
    Yes I just did, keep reading.
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BKByon View Post
    Dear Fr_Chuck,

Thank You for your reply. The toy of this subject is "Iron Man 2 Arc Light." Website is Marvel Toys and Games by Hasbro - Iron Man, Wolverine, Spider-Man and More.... Its made in China, and the toy is copied from Marvel's Ironman. For giving names or any other conditions, I will follow legal ways. If its illegal to name toys, I will not. And no I haven't asked Marvel Company for the permission. What should I do to legally sell my used toy that's upgraded with LED? Or is it okay now?

Sincerely,

Byon.
    Pretty sure you would infringing on copyright law, should you do this. You don't need a lawsuit over a trivial thing like t his.

Oct 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
    Dear Tickle,

Thank You for your reply. I don't think, Ironman 2 Arc Reactor is dangerous(containing lead). If the toy contained hazard substance that would harm children, Wal-Mart shouldn't sell it in the first place? Even if I do get sued, shouldn't Wal-Mart/Hasbro be responsible for this(Since they sold it first)? So according to this law( I don't know what's it called ), shouldn't E-bay examine all of the products being traded? And the customers I'm dealing with are teenagers in a high school. No children being involved. In addition, I will resell toys after 1 to 2 weeks of purchase. So the products is new, I mean I won't play with it:) So in these conditions. I would like to ask is this still illegal or legal? I'm looking for proven facts.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Byon.

Oct 11, 2010, 08:29 PM
    Dear Tickle,

I have a good news. I just looked on safety of Hasbros.com(http://www.hasbro.com/corporate/product-safety.cfm) It says Iron-man toys have been unaffected by leads:) So... I got rid of 1 of 2 conditions. Just 1 more to go. I hope its not illegal...

Thank You. It really means a lot.

Sincerely,

Byon.
    Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 02:20 AM

You had better check with U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission if you want the proper information and proven facts.

www.cpsc.gov

Tick

Oct 12, 2010, 02:21 AM
    Dear Tickle,

I don't know what U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission is. Is that like an organization in this website?

Sincerely,

Byon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Not registering a Land Contract in Michigan? Legal or Illegal? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I do not know anything about Land Contracts, so my question is: If a Land Contract is made between myself (buyer) and the owner (seller), is the seller legally responsible (in the state of Michigan) to record/register the Land Contract? If they don't record/register it, how will that...

Is an immigrant from Canada legal or illegal when married to a US Citizen? [ 3 Answers ]

I've heard, mostly on comedy situation, that if an immigrant marries a US Citizen, they can stay in this country. Is this true?. is it also true if the immigrant is Canadian?

Legal or illegal? [ 4 Answers ]

Is it illegal for a 28 yr old to date a 17 yr old in the state of Texas?

Legal or illegal [ 6 Answers ]

It was the summer of July 05 and someone was driving past a house saw that the door was open they called the police.The police came inside the house and just saw boxes and 2 mattresses because the people just moved in.It was a huge house with 18 bedrooms and they called backup.They entered the...

View more questions Search