Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dadisi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 09:26 PM
    Facing eviction
    I am late for my rent and a warrant will be file soon. Can I give a 30 day notice to prevent the filing?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 11, 2010, 03:42 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Not legally. In most areas (Note ANY question on law needs a general locale as laws vary by area) the landlord can give a 3-10 pay or quit notice. If payment in full is not made within that time the landlord can file for an eviction order. I assume that's where you are.

You can appeal to the landlord and ask for time to find a new place, but the landlord is under no legal obligation to grant it.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2010, 07:44 AM
    I agree with Scott's answer. Giving the landlord a 30 day notice will not affect the process.

As far as a "warrant", I'm not sure what you mean by warrant, but I normally think of a warrant leading to an arrest. Everywhere that I know if evictions are just a civil matter. You won't be arrested. You'll just be served notice that the landlord has initiated an eviction & probably be given a hearing date that you can appear before the Judge. If you haven't paid (can't pay) there's little you can do to stop the eviction.
    Advice123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 12, 2010, 01:30 PM
    Here is the "Real" answer.

As a landlord - I just want your rent to pay the bills. If you are not going to pay rent - just simply leave. I will not file for an eviction if someone leaves - it would make no sense.

However, that does not mean I will not go after you for money due. It simply means you will not have your name tied to an eviction (which are all online nowadays). I DO NOT rent to anyone who has had an eviction - so just keep that in mind.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Advice123 View Post
    here is the "Real" answer.

As a landlord - I just want your rent to pay the bills. If you are not going to pay rent - just simply leave. I will not file for an eviction if someone leaves - it would make no sense.

However, that does not mean I will not go after you for money due. It simply means you will not have your name tied to an eviction (which are all online nowadays). I DO NOT rent to anyone who has had an eviction - so just keep that in mind.

This is a legal board. Please keep your answers strictly legal and quote a source. What you would or would not do is not necessarily lawful or helpful.

- And that's the legal answer.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 12, 2010, 04:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Advice123 View Post
    here is the "Real" answer.
    First, as noted, we give LEGAL answers here. Those are what is real, not what you as a landlord would or wouldn't do. Second, the OP asked if he could forestall an eviction proceeding by giving a 30 day notice. As a landlord would you give him 30 more days of possibly free rent just to avoid going through an eviction? Yes, if the tenant immediately vacates there is no reason to proceed with an eviction. But that's not what the OP asked.

My answer was correct for most jurisdictions. Giving a 30 day notice will not stop the eviction process unless the landlord agrees to it. So before you criticize other people's answers you better be sure they aren't correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Facing Mecca [ 4 Answers ]

When praying, and facing Mecca, how accurate must one position oneself? In Mosques, I assume they are built initially with direction to Mecca in mind, as when I see muslims at prayer in mosques they appear to face forward towards the imam, and are parallel to the walls. Is there a required degree...

Facing eviction [ 2 Answers ]

I'm on a lease agreement and I lost my job acouple of months ago I've tried to keep up with my payments through my family but I have gotten behind my landlord left me a note on the kitchen table last Saturday and it said that if I wasn't caught up by this Saturday to be out Saturday I have sought...

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search