Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becka6158 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
    My 21 year old son is out of control
    Does anyone know the laws in Maryland about having someone committed. My son is drinking a lot and keeps trying to hurt himself and anyone around him. Last night he grabbed the steering wheel of someone who had went to pick him up (they were doing about 70 mph), when that did not work he tried to get out of the car while they were moving, when they stopped at a red light on a major highway he got out of the car and started walking. I need to know what my options are before he kills himself or someone else.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Since he is an adult, it is harder, and the state laws vary, when I was a police officer, a police officer who witnesses or has reason to believe a person is mentally unstable can put them in for a 24 hour eval.

For provate it took the evidence of two or three family menbers or the persons doctor, cana present evidence to the court for a mandatory eval.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2007, 01:50 PM
    The place to start is with his doctor. If he has a record of trying to hurt himself, the doctor can help start the process.
    becka6158 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Thank you for your response's. With the help of his ex-girlfriend we got him to come home so that we can provide him with the TLC he needs right now and get him to the doctor and/or hospital for professional help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Glad to hear it
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 2, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by becka6158
    Thank you for your response's. With the help of his ex-girlfriend we got him to come home so that we can provide him with the TLC he needs right now and get him to the doctor and/or hospital for professional help.
    That's good that he is home with you in a safe place, I hope that he gets all the right support from the hospitals and doctors.

I hope things turn good for you and your family, I will keep you all in my prayers.
    futile_actions Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2007, 07:25 PM
    Does anyone know the laws in Maryland about having someone committed. My son is drinking alot and keeps trying to hurt himself and anyone around him. Last night he grabbed the steering wheel of someone who had went to pick him up (they were doing about 70 mph), when that did not work he tried to get out of the car while they were moving, when they stopped at a red light on a major highway he got out of the car and started walking. I need to know what my options are before he kills himself or someone else.
    Councling
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Jan 2, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Anti depresents
    WaitingMother22 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2007, 09:28 AM
    Does anyone know the laws in Maryland about having someone committed. My son is drinking alot and keeps trying to hurt himself and anyone around him. Last night he grabbed the steering wheel of someone who had went to pick him up (they were doing about 70 mph), when that did not work he tried to get out of the car while they were moving, when they stopped at a red light on a major highway he got out of the car and started walking. I need to know what my options are before he kills himself or someone else.
    Your son most deffinitly needs a pro's help but don't lock him up then he feels as if your giving up on him just put him in a mental facilitie until you think you can find the problem has he expierenced any trauma or stress latly if not he may just have a depression problem.. . Your Friend Arielle
    19kgd54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2007, 01:30 AM
    That is exactly what my 19 year old says right after he tears the door off the cabinet and screams "I'll kill you bi#*h and I won't even care". Unfortunately in our state there are no options. We have tried with all the love and patience God can provide, but all it has done is destroy his little sister and he is about to destroy a marriage of 30 years. May I send him to live with you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parenting my 22 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I have been a single parent for most of my son's life. He is now 22 and graduating from college 7 hours from home. Since he was 13, he shut down completely towards me, however, is friendly to all others around him, including his father, who he is still close to. I have gone through years of his...

Need help with my 12 year old son [ 11 Answers ]

I am having a hard time with my son he is 12 years old and he is into a lot of trouble all the time. At school he is a bully and pushed the school to the point of sending him to the courts as an unruly kid if there is one more incident! I know he needs help and I want to get him help but I am on...

18 Year Old Step Son Driving Me Crazy. Why? [ 32 Answers ]

OK. I have an 18 yr.old step son. He is a senior, has only 2 classes this semester, is getting an 81% and a 89% in them. My problem is, he is unemployed and has NO ambition what-so-ever. My husband, his dad, works nights so he is not around to see all of this and does not inquire about...

19 year old son moved out [ 10 Answers ]

I feel I have always been a good mother. Raised both children in a good environment & home life. I have worked in the same profession for 27 years. My son has moved out with another family. The parents have just recently quit their jobs, their home is a wonderful home, but yet it is a complete...

My 10 year ols son front tooth has not come in yet? [ 3 Answers ]

Our 10 year old had his baby tooth pulled at age 8 1/2 because there was another tooth behind it. The permanent tooth was above the second tooth. However it has not appeared yet. We have had x rays done twice since the extraction, and they say the tooth is moving down, but we still see no sign...

View more questions Search