Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marley143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
    If the father is not listed on a birth certificate, does the mother have full custody
    If a child's father is not listed on the birth certificate, does that mean the mother has full custody?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 01:37 PM

Yes. By presumption a mother has sole custody...
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Yes. By presumption a mother has sole custody...
    I don't believe that's at all correct. Normally, the mother is obviously the mother (because there are witnesses to the birth but not normally to the conception). But legally, in the absence of a court order, both parents share custodial rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:17 PM

Or just till the bio father files for joint custody or visits
    Family Law Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 02:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    But legally, in the absence of a court order, both parents share custodial rights.
    But legally, if a father has never established parent-child relationship with a child /presumption,paternity acknowledgment or judicial proceeding/,the mother has sole legal and physical custody.;)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 04:13 AM
    But legally, if a father has never established parent-child relationship with a child /presumption,paternity acknowledgment or judicial proceeding/,the mother has sole legal and physical custody.;)
    More and more the chain of responsibility is tightening. Now if you want a passport for the child then they will ask about the father. And as for the "other parents" permission. Also its in place to prevent kidnapping. Times are changing and responsible parties are having to come forth one way or another.
    Family Law Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    More and more the chain of responsibility is tightening. Now if you want a passport for the child then they will ask about the father. And as for the "other parents" permission. Also its in place to prevent kidnapping. Times are changing and responsible parties are having to come forth one way or another.
    I can give you lots of examples... Here is one:
    ORC 3109.042
    An unmarried female who gives birth to a child is the sole residential parent and legal custodian of the child...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 12, 2010, 12:57 PM
    I can give you lots of examples ...Here is one:
    ORC 3109.042
    An unmarried female who gives birth to a child is the sole residential parent and legal custodian of the child ...
    Im already aware of it. I was just pointing out some of the changes that are occurring in these times. Not being made legally the father and not being on the birth certificate means exactly that. You want the rights you will have to get them in court because as of now father unknown.
    ashultz98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Question about the ORC 3109.042. I was always under the assumption that Federal (Department of State) trumps state (ORC) when its decision making times. Are we only talking about if there's no father on the birth certificate or are you also talking about a father on the birth certificate but not married to the mother, because when doing a passport, they have their own rules about if a father is listed whether married or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any...

Single Mother,Father signed birth certificate,hasn't seen his son,want full custody [ 8 Answers ]

When I gave birth to my son I was 17 and the father was 18 we were young and I was still in high school. The father basically is a low-life never graduated does drugs no job been to jail before and has 2 other kids. Im currently in college broke and my parents are helping me out till I get placed...

No father listed on birth certificate how can husband adopt [ 15 Answers ]

I live in KS. I don't know who my baby's biological father is, how can my husband adopt? There is no fater listed on the birth certificate. And what if someone later in life were to question if they were the father what would happen then?

Rights of a father not listed on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Louisiana and am pregnant with my first child. The father of the baby has expressed no interest in the baby and will not be listed on the birth certificate. What rights, if any will he have even if he isn't listed on the birth certificate?

View more questions Search