Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyiac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Breaking lease due to safety issues.
    Can I break my lease because the steps are breaking off as we step on them? We wrote up a report 3 months ago because we fell. They still haven't done a thing to fix them. Three months later 2 more steps have broken as we were walking down and we twisted our ankles and have again written up 2 more reports. Is this grounds for an early termination? Is it worth getting a lawyer? My family won't even come over because they don't want to fall.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 05:05 PM

Grounds, this is a good question, there is never a right answer, since you have to move, and let them sue you and then go to court to defend yourself.
    Have you reported it to the city code enforcement ?

But you will never know for sure, till you move, everyone's opinion even an attorneys is just that opinion, and will not be for sure till the other side sues you and you end up in court
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2010, 06:07 PM

Personally, I don't see grounds for lease termination. However, what you can do is give the landlord one week, in writing, to fix the problem otherwise you will hire a contractor to make the repair and deduct the cost from your rent.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2010, 07:40 AM
    Do you have a written lease? *Many* will state the procedure for reporting maintenance requests and then go on to outline your rights if the landlord doesn't respond. Also, there's a "sticky" note at the top of the real estate law page with each state's LL/tenant laws (property code). I'd see what your state's laws say about repairs/maintenance/condition of the property.

Chuck is right... ultimately you won't know what will happen until you actually move & see if the LL comes after you (files a small claims case against you for damages (lost rent))or not. And then if they do come after you it will be up to a judge to decide if you violated the lease or if the LL violated the lease & you followed the proper procedure & were within your rights to move out...

Good luck. Make sure you document EVERYTHING really well. Lots of photos, etc. That way if you wind up moving early & they do come after you, you'll at least have a strong case for your actions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease Florida for your safety [ 3 Answers ]

My husband, our 2 year old and myself resently moved to Florida. We have a 2 bedroom in a small complex that only has 10 apartments. The apartment its self is not bad, but a few of the other people that live there are the problem. We life in a "drug free zone" (elementary school zone) and the land...

Breaking lease due to deployment [ 2 Answers ]

How do I break my lease without being responsible for the rent if I am deploying and I do not have the military clause in my lease? By the way I live in Texas.

Breaking lease due to Foreclosure! [ 3 Answers ]

To put it simply: Can I break my lease because my landlord is going into foreclosure? If I have no legal recourse, what could the landlord do if I decide to break it? Thanks

Breaking lease due to going in military [ 2 Answers ]

Son is going into the military as of 12/19. Has not paid dec rent. Landlord wants to keep deposit. Can they do this?

Breaking Lease Due to Safety and Family Emergency [ 4 Answers ]

I have a one year lease with an apartment that I have been in since February 2007. In June and again now in August my car has been stolen from in front of the apartment, with police records. I also have a father in the final stages of COPD/Emphasema and have a letter from the DR stating that he...

View more questions Search