Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    funjunky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
    St. James laminate flooring
    Has anyone had experience with this laminate flooring? We are considering using St james 12mm laminate flooring in our basement that is in the process of being finished now. The price is incredibly low for 12mm compared with Bruce and Armstrong. Which, of course, makes me wonder why...
    hitnailonhead Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
    Well, just like most other things you get what you pay for, i.e. the more expensive flooring is of higher quality material. However, I find the cheaper laminate flooring is still quite durable. The decision depends upon two things, how much you are willing to spend, and the function of the room. (high traffic, low traffic, livingroom, gameroom, etc.)
    TooterBelle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 12:06 PM
    We put the Bond street Teak through out our new house and we really like it. (It was not too hard to put in and we've never done it before.) The only thing that I don't like about it is it shows really fine little scratches when you roll things with plastic wheels over it... like a baby walker. I would however recommend it to anyone with that one warning.
    Mjmarie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2010, 04:47 PM
    I have been in the home improvement retail end and in flooring for about 4 years and there are a lot of different laminates out there. There is your basic kind which is like a piece of partical board covered with a couple of layers of film. One for the look and the other to somewhat protect it. Then there are ones that have the padding or carboard on the back of them, so you do not have to buy the underlayment. You always must have a underlayment to protect against moisture and it gives you a little cushioning too. The two I just explained about does not have moisture protection between the seems, so for that you would have to buy a sealent which acts like a glue but more flexable. The next step up in laminate is Pergo, that has a better pertection on top , has a pad attached under it and has the sealer on it already. But one thing I didn't like was pergo didn't have any tile selection so I ended up going with armstrong laminate flooring. Armstrong does require you to buy the padding and its up to you if you want to seal it. I always recommended it in areas of moisture. I put mine in a dinning room and did not use glue and my puppy has peed on it and it did not under the layers of the laminate thank goodness! Some of the other cheaper kinds do. I have seen water go into the laminate and exspand and the laminate part lift from the board part. The board like I said is like partical board and when partical board gets wet it tends to swell up. Hope this helps... let us know what you decided to go with?
    cathydaugherty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2011, 07:31 PM
    I installed St. James 12mm in my living room and dining room about 11 months ago and have not had any good experiences with it. If you spill water or ice cream that does not get cleaned up immediately the boards WILL warp and with small children stuff is always getting spilled. I will guess about 20% of our floor boards are ruined and Lumber Liquidators and the installers take no responsibility. So you better be really careful with the flooring.
    cptnjimusa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2012, 11:15 PM
    Looks good but do not get the dark cherry it is impossible to keep clean and I have no kids and only pet is a cat.
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Liquid spills are with any laminate, once it gets into the masonite between the cracks it's done.
    Although I'm a firm believer of making any laminate nice if installed correctly.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 4, 2012, 07:19 PM
    Would never put laminate in a basement. It is the first place that water backs up, everything drips down, humidity is always higher and laminate, regardless of brand, swells under these conditions
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Some laminates are below grade rated. Always check the warranty 1st.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Laminate flooring transition to raised vinyl flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Installer put new 1/4' subfloor in bathroom last year when installing new Tarkett (vinyl) flooring, with a metal strip transition to existing hall carpet. Now we are installing 12mm laminate in hall, which with underlay, is approximately the same height. However, when the metal strip was removed,...

Laminate flooring [ 19 Answers ]

What is the BEST and EASIEST Laminate flooring to install? I previously installed SHAW brand in my Son's bedroom and they didn't snap in well at all. Can I tack in some of the flooring that is sticking up with brad nails? Thanks.

Laminate flooring [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small area in my hardwood laminate flooring with a bubble. Do you know of a fix

Laminate flooring [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I paid a bulider just six months ago to lay a laminate floor in my lounge , six months later it has begun to rise in various places , I am very upset about this , and he's not prepared to put it right , so it looks as though I must try and fix it myself , trouble is I don't know why its...

Laminate Flooring [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought some laminate flooring and after about 5-6 months it seems like one area of the floor has air underneath it. We left a .25 inch space around the whole livingroom but we still have a huge problem. What can we do to fix this. It seems like one section of the flooring looks...

View more questions Search