Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jan 1, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Strange Items Hanging on Walls in Historic Home
    Hello everyone... it's good to stop by again...

My family stopped by to check out the home of our ancestors, which is unfortunately being torn down by a developing company. It was in bad shape and has not been inhabited for many, many years.

One of the few things that was left in the home were these strange items hanging on the walls upstairs and downstairs.

As you can see below, they look like cardboard (but more likely thin wood) and are almost shaped into a human figure. They are completely flat, plain, and brown.

I want to know if these items are historical in any way - do they represent something or were they actually used for something... any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Zach
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 11:06 AM
    That is a target used for police. Or it looks just just like the ones we used at the police range,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 11:07 AM
    I am glad you said it. I wanted to.

That is what we use for target practice here too.

My hubby has about a million on order for his new indoor range opening soon.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
    Yes the ones at the police range don't have any circles, and a few have lines to separate head, center mass and lower body

But esp if this is a heavier material it may be the military grade ones used for the longer distance shotting where the bod looks more like a spec.

I have a closet full of these but mine are on heavy paper that we keep rolled up. But I do remember the older ones from the military were a heavier material
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jan 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Hello again,

I appreciate your responses... I was thinking it may have been a shooting target, but when I looked at the shape of it and its location (inside the house and all) it didn't make sense to me. But perhaps the last inhabitant was a military war buff or something.

It's a shame that they will be ripping this home full of memories down to make way for a quarry, but that's business I guess!

Thanks for your help and happy new year!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring in historic house [ 2 Answers ]

I have plaster walls with lathe backing. In historic district so conduit that shows won't work, need to install new wiring and outlet boxes because upgrading service to today's standards and eliminating knob and tube wiring. Need help with installing wiring and boxes for outlets in the plaster...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

Older home, ceilings and walls covered [ 3 Answers ]

Hello We're looking at an old 3 level (walk up attic) Victorian, early 1900s. Structurally, it appears to be sound, solid foundation, straight lines, etc - however, most of the walls in the house have floor to ceiling wood paneling (nice looking wood, not 70's style!) which appears to have been...

Strange problem effecting walls in one room in house [ 5 Answers ]

Hello: My daughter has a purple room. Ever since I painted it I noticed that if you hang a picture on the wall for any length of time and remove the picture, it looks as though something brown, like a soda ran down the wall right behind the picture. At first I thought it actually was a...

Historic dress in Milan, Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Im searching for sketches of children's clothing in Milan, Italy around 1820. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search