Can you believe in the Bible and Science BOTH
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 07:40 AM

Yes.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 07:41 AM

Sure of course you can. Science is an extension of gods knowlage. The only times when we have disagreement is when it comes to ethical issues that cross the boundries of religion. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 9, 2010, 09:07 AM

Yes, of course one has to know when to rely on faith and not always accept everything science is telling us today.

Remember at one time science told us the earth was flat and that the sun went around the earth.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

Oct 9, 2010, 09:25 AM

There's also the matter of interpreting the Bible properly. The most obvious mistake many interpreters make is the "7 LITERAL days" thing. Once we realize that the text there is poetic in style, we realize that these "days" don't have to be literal at all.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 10, 2010, 01:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    There's also the matter of interpreting the Bible properly. The most obvious mistake many interpreters make is the "7 LITERAL days" thing. Once we realize that the text there is poetic in style, we realize that these "days" don't have to be literal at all.
    Hi Dave,

Yes, I agree with that.

This may be of interest. God took 6 days to do his work and rested on the 7th. In the ancient world the number 6 was said to have special significance for mathematicians.

In 'The City of God' St. Augustine argues that although God could have done what ever he wanted when he decided to create the world, Instead choose 6 days. Why did he do this? Supposably because he wanted to reflect the universes perfection which is contain within the number 6. From my point of view I see this as adding to the NON LITERAL debate.

Regards

Tut
    WOWgrl90 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
    Of course. God loves science. He created it.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Yes, of course one has to know when to rely on faith and not always accept everything science is telling us today.

Remember at one time science told us the earth was flat and that the sun went around the earth.
    I would put it the other way - One has to know when to rely on science and not always accept everything faith is telling us today. At least, that has been historically true.

The flat earth and the sun going around the earth originate in faith, not science. As long as 2500 years ago, the Greeks knew the earth was round, not flat. It took faith a long time to catch up.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    I would put it the other way - One has to know when to rely on science and not always accept everything faith is telling us today. At least, that has been historically true.

The flat earth and the sun going around the earth originate in faith, not science. As long as 2500 years ago, the Greeks knew the earth was round, not flat. It took faith a long time to catch up.
    Athos,

The book of Job is the first to record the earth was in fact round and not flat... check out Job 26:7,10. Incidentally, the book o Job was written way before the Greeks came along. It also says in Isaiah 40:22 " It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth"...

I'm just saying... you are wrong.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 28, 2010, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    Athos,

The book of Job is the first to record the earth was in fact round and not flat....check out Job 26:7,10. Incidently, the book o Job was written way before the Greeks came along. It also says in Isaiah 40:22 " It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth".....

I'm just sayin....you are wrong.
    Hi classy T,

The problem is that a circle isn't a sphere.

Regards

Tut
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 28, 2010, 11:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by classyT View Post
    I'm just sayin....you are wrong.
    Did Athos say the Bible was wrong? No. Reread his answer. In fact, read Fr_Chuck's first, then Athos'.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Did Athos say the Bible was wrong? No. Reread his answer. In fact, read Fr_Chuck's first, then Athos'.
    I tried to give you a "helpful", but it wouldn't let me.

So, here's a "helpful".

Btw, that Bible quote may or may not have been accurate, but Pythagoras definitely wrote about a round earth in the 6th century BC. Is it possible the writer of Job took the idea from Pythagoras? Just asking.

(Not suggesting you were the one who gave the quote).
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 29, 2010, 08:02 AM

You guys all seem to be in violent agreement. Yes, some educated ancients knew that the earth is round. Yes, educated Greeks knew the earth is round, and actually calculated its size reasonably accurately. I challenge anyone here to cite a source that shows that any "scientist" ever thought the earth is flat, or for that matter any church authority who ever said the earth is flat.

Of course there are plenty of examples of both "scientists" and religious authorities insisting that the earth is at the center of the solar system. The interesting thing is how the two camps varied in their process for finally accepting the new theory that put the sun at the center. Some church authorities - not all - branded the theory as heritical (based on a rather twisted interpretation of one obscure passage in the bible, and on the tradition of accepting Aristotle's philosophies without question). Unfortunately for Galileo one of those authorities happened to be the Pope.

I put the word "scientist" in quotes here because the scientific method was not codified until the 1600's. Galileo and Descartes are generally recognized as the fathers of modern science, and they lived in the 1600's. The ancient Greeks (Aristotle and the like) were not scientists - they were philosophers. So to say that "scientists" believed the earth is flat is false.

But to answer the OP's question - yes, of course you can believe in the scientific method and have religious faith. In fact, some of the greatest scientists have been church leaders. One of the finest astronomy observatories in the world in the 1700's was located at the Vatican.
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Nov 1, 2010, 10:44 AM
    For me science is a baby of Lord God. If HE has not given humans understanding, how could a man find out how far is the sun, or deep is the ocean, or how can we take care of our health and do more work for HIM. Even though the medical science is so advanced yet when HE calls an individual home, no money, no technology can hold the person back. Check out Francis Colins on Youtube. You will get more understanding about relation between God and science.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    how could a man find out how far is the sun
    How do astronomers measure the distance to stars? Is it accurate?

, or deep is the ocean,
    Sonar Mapping

how can we take care of our health
    Thousands of years of experimentation: History of medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2010, 03:09 PM
    I have often said, if you're going to miss the point, miss it big! :D
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 03:13 PM
    Ok I'll bite, how did I miss it big?
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2010, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Ok I'll bite, how did I miss it big?
    Reread this part of the post:

"For me science is a baby of Lord God. If HE has not given humans understanding,"
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2010, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dwashbur View Post
    Reread this part of the post:

"For me science is a baby of Lord God. If HE has not given humans understanding,"
    I think that does a disservice to man's use of free will to be ingenious and have a quest for better understanding his environment. It reduces every single argument to "God did it".
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2010, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    I think that does a disservice to man's use of free will to be ingenious and have a quest for better understanding his environment. It reduces every single argument to "God did it".
    No, this statement shows that you still don't understand what the poster was saying. God giving us the gift of reason is why we are able to discover those things, that's the point. And you still missed it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good science fair title if my science fair question is... [ 2 Answers ]

Which salt will cool a beverage the fastest with ice and water. And can u make my question better

The Bible, age of Earth, and science [ 190 Answers ]

Elements of this have appeared in various posts and threads, so let's see if we can bring them all together. My working hypothesis is that there is no conflict between scientific estimates of the age of Earth and the Bible. Give your thoughts and prepare to defend them with something of...

Science, God & the Bible [ 16 Answers ]

For those who want science to 'prove God' The Bible says god took the unseen things to make the things that are seen Science discovered atoms, molecules, DNA, etc... The Bible talks about underwater currents In the 1800's Matthew Fontaine Maury discovered underwater currents The Bible...

How old? Bible vs. Science [ 23 Answers ]

I was questioning how science could determine that something is hundreds of thousands, millions or even billions of years old. In particular, bones. My thoughts were... Doesn't elements affect the aging process. Like cold, heat, fire, ice, elements in the air and dirt, etc. Cold slows down the...

View more questions Search