Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hvezda Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Sore stomach, severe gas pains
    I have problem, that doctor's are not able to help me with. About year ago I was diagnosed with H.Pilori, was given triple combination (two antibiotics and one anti acid prescription), when I finished taking it I got first bowel movement all white, just like chalk and after that I had diarrhea for two months. I lost 15 lb, was sent for endoscopy, nothing found, barium enema didn't reveal anything, MRI of abdomen and pelvis, nothing. Now I got re tested for H.Pilori and it is negative, yet I have pains in my stomach, immediately after I finish eating I get hunger pains really bad, my stomach fills with gas and then it goes into my intestines, it gets to the point where I am afraid to eat anything, it gets really bad when I lay down, yet I don't have GERD, so what can it be? I am willing to try anything... anybody had similar problem?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 1, 2007, 10:05 AM
    I got this info from The Helicobacter (H.pylori) FoundationThis is a GREAT website that will hopefully help you out. As you see, it can take several rounds of treatment to rid yourself of the Halicobacter bacteria. Hope this helps a little bit.

Treatment (General)
    If you are found to have Helicobacter pylori infection, you may wish to have antibiotic treatment of some kind. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori is usually simple & straight forward. However, occasional patients need repeated endoscopies, biopsies,breath tests and several courses of treatment with different antibiotic combinations..
    After treatment of H. pylori , it is necessary to repeat one of these tests to see if the germ has been killed or eradicated for good. Only breath tests or endoscopy with biopsy can be used to prove that the bacterium has been eradicated. The blood tests *(serology ) is not suitable to monitor H.pylori eradication because antibodies to H.pylori may remain positive for months or even years after successfully killing the H. pylori .
    Risks of H. Pylori Therapy
    There is a small risk associated with taking bismuth drugs (for example, Pepto-Bismol or De-Nol). They may temporarily cause grey staining of the teeth and mouth and can cause constipation, diarrhoea, and blackening of the stools. All antibiotics have a small risk of an allergic reaction. The antibiotics we recommend are called amoxycillin, clarithromycin, tetracycline and metronidazole. If your H. pylori infection is difficult to cure, we may suggest that you take different antibiotics or higher doses in order to treat it. If you have ever had a reaction to antibiotics, you should tell your doctor (for example, penicillin allergy). The antibiotics are commonly used and are safe, but they may cause a bad taste in the mouth (clarithromycin [clari], metronidazole [met]), dizziness , tingling [met], stomach upset, diarrhoea, and, very rarely, fatal reactions (as may occur with all antibiotics). If you are given metronidazole (trade name in Australia is “Flagyl”), you should not drink alcohol while taking the drug because an unpleasant reaction may occur (flushing, headaches, and nausea). Flagyl (metronidazole) should not be used in pregnancy.
    For a detailed explanation of drug interactions and side effects see on line drug list .
    Treatment Rules
    Acid lowering drugs such as ranitidine, cimetidine, famotidine, omeprazole, pantoprazole and lansoprazole are generally safe, but discuss them with your doctor and read the package for more information. Only combinations of antibiotics with the above medications have been shown to eradicate H.pylori . Some patients have developed transient Candida (i.e.yeast )infection after antibiotic use. If you are concerned about this discuss it with your doctor and take an antifungal agent if appropriate.
    If you are pregnant or likely to become so, you should tell your doctor and he/she may decide not to treat your H. Pylori infection or to use a special combination of antibiotic therapy.
    Antibiotic therapy should not be given unless a diagnostic test for H.pylori has been performed and a positive result is obtained. The absence of H.pylori in peptic ulcer is a diagnostic pointer to an unusual and perhaps more serious etiology. There is no justification for treating patients longer than 14 days. Cure rates have been less with shorter therapies but longer therapies have not been shown to result in greater cure rates. If 14 day therapy fails, the bacterium is probably resistant to that antibiotic combination and future therapy may need to be guided by antimicrobial sensitivity testing of the cultured organism from that particular patient.
    If therapy fails, your doctor should try not to use the same combination of antibiotics again . H.pylori easily becomes resistant to metronidazole and clarithromycin so these agents should not be used twice unless antibiotic sensitivity data is available to support their continued use. After therapy, avoid antimicrobial agents for 4 weeks and omeprazole for one week before doing a diagnostic test (biopsy for histology and CLOtest , or a urea breath test either C14 or C13 ) to confirm eradication.
    A detailed table is available showing Dr Marshall's Treatments for 2006
    Resistant Infections
    If two therapies fail (and H.pylori still persists as indicated by by breath test or endoscopy & biopsy analysis) then expert advice is required. You may have antibiotic resistant H.pylori. .
    Your doctor may wish to perform endoscopy and biopsy with culture to check the antibiotic susceptibilities./ sensitivities of the H.pylori strain you have. . Knowing the antibiotic sensitivity profile of the H.pylori strain you have been infected with the doctor can then treat you with the most appropriate antibiotic combination that will get rid of the H.pylori you have..
    Homeopathic Remedies
    There is no data available to support their use. It seems that if homeopathic remedies worked, the makers would perform clinical trials to prove it and then have them widely available under prescription. Since most if not all manufacturers of homeopathic and naturopathic remedies for H.pylori have not conducted requisite clinical trials ( which are very expensive to conduct) then we can assume that the manufacturers don't really believe that their remedies work at all! So be vary of such remedies.
    We recommend that you take the real medically proven therapies described above. Interestingly, some compounds used as natural therapies do suppress (but not cure) Helicobacter pylori . An example is lactobacilli found in yoghurt)!
    Basically, HP is tough to eradicate if you don't do it "by the book".
    Vaccines Vaccines are being tested in animals and humans. Despite many clinical trials, it is very early days yet. At the present point in time there are no vaccines for the prevention of H. pylori
    exmtz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 08:31 AM
    You could have intestinal yeast--have had it and it is VERY painful. The doc said there is always some yeast in stool, but they may be able to tell you if that's the real problem or they may not. I used to live overseas and got all kinds of tummy things the first year and had to take a lot of antibiotics for them resulting in getting intestinal yeast. It took a long time to get over--but these days there are many more probiotics on the market and with fluconazole (anti-yeast) and probiotics you can eventually get rid of intestinal yeast--if that's what it is. Good luck!
    jhazelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 02:38 AM

I'm 59, very fit, and I have modified my eating habits extensively. For more than a year, I've had VERY painful "air" episodes that occur in the middle of the night about every 7 days. The pain is usually localized to my back left side (the pain goes when the "air" goes). I say "air" because what I release from both ends is odorless. I use various exercises and my PowerPlate to get the air out. After each episode, it takes 24 hours before I feel normal.

So far, I've had a colonoscopy, gastroscopy, capsule endoscopy, and extensive blood tests. No diagnosis. So I was sent to another doctor who ordered urine (4 buckets) and blood tests (immediately after urine was gathered). I'm still waiting for results of these last tests. The new doctor prescribed Dimetikon Meda (antifoam), which lightened the symptoms during an episode (until today).
    mmuhlen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2012, 11:14 AM
    I am currently having same problem for 4 months now. Symptoms include loud intestinal noises, gas, and hunger pains. Seems worse when laying down. Trouble sleeping. H pylori positive 2 months ago and took triple therapy treatment. Still having symptoms. Has anyone had these issues and did anyone find treatment? Or a different diagnosis? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Severe Childhood sexual abuse [ 5 Answers ]

In Canada, how does one go about reporting severe childhood sexual abuse that took place 40 years ago... I'm not sure charges can be laid, or even if this man can be found or is even alive, I've tried looking, reaching out to classmates from high school who knew the family, but the wall seems to...

*I NEED HELP* severe depression [ 7 Answers ]

I have 15 out of 17 signs of depression from a website, almost every quiz I've taken says I have severe depression or bipolar, I'm an actress naturally so I naturally hide my feelings, and can't help it. I have a lot of trouble, even on IM, saying that I'm not OK, (unless to total strangers like...

Acute Severe Dizziness [ 3 Answers ]

I have developed acute severe dizziness when changing positions. Could it be an inner ear infection?

Bloated, stomach ache, sore breast... pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I feel bloated, I get sick to my stomach every time I smell something... only ONE of my breast are sore... Am I pregnant?? Im sooooooooooooooo scared... How soon can you tell when your pregnant or not? How soon do the signs start to show?

Growing pains? [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone remind me what the growing pains feel like. I am having dull aches on my left side. Occasionally it switches to the right, but mainly on the left. From what I can remember, this happened the first time too, but I also remember that I didn't drink enough water a lot too, so I had cramps...

View more questions Search