Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Patf Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Furnace pilot light not working
    My house furnace pilot light not working although repeated several times restart procedures.
    Not sure what caused this problem.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2006, 10:51 PM
    Can you describe what you are doing and what happens when you do it??

Jan 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
    The brand is Bryant , model 376B. I did the procedures as instructions, set thermostat to lowest temperature, turn control dial on gas valve on, turn on electrical supply, open external manual gas valve, set thermostat slightly above room temperature.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Look at the circuit board for an LED light flashing a code. Model 376B doesn't seem like the right, or complete model number. Do you know how old and efficiency?

Jan 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Model number is copied from operation manual. The furnace is over 10 years. How to check a thermostat working or not? Are thermostat and thermocouple the samething?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2007, 09:44 PM
    The thermostat is what tells the gas valve to come on and heat the house. The thermocouple is a safety device that goes from the gas valve to the pilot light, if the thermocouple is not hot the gas valve with not open and let the gas flow through. Also if the thermocouple is bad The pilot will light but when you release the button, that you are suppose to hold down for thirty seconds, the pilot will go out. Does it have a pilot that you have to light or does it have an automatic pilot.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2007, 04:27 PM
    10 year old Bryant? Probably doesn't have a standing pilot or thermocouple. Sorry I need more information.

Jan 14, 2007, 08:41 PM
    As shown on a instruction which came with the furnace inside the furnace that the pilot light will turn on automatically when it calls heat then the flame will come on. Both pilot light and flame will distinguish when reachs set temperature.

I just bought a new thermostat to make sure it works first. The gas dial control can only turn to off or on needs not to press to hold or when turn the knob.

I have checked the parts list but couldn't find thermocouple on the list.

If I can not fix it. How much will an average service charge if I call a technician?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2007, 09:32 PM
    Have you verified the furnace is getting control voltage? Does it have any lights to light? If nothing at all is happening, the control voltage fuse could be blown or even the breaker tripped. Start with finding the breaker and turning it all the way to off and then all the way back to on. Then open up the furnace and look for an automotive style blade fuse on the control board. Both easy fixes.

Sorry I didn't suggest this before, but a sure check of the thermostat is to connect a wire from the R to the W terminal on the furnace control board. If the furnace doesn't start up when the cover switch is closed, the problem is in the furnace not the thermostat.
    ewerb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Comment on Patf's post
    Those are the basic resest steps, OR it could be simple as the manual reset -- I've paid a couple times for a tech to reach in and press a reset button that senses backdraft -- which can happen in windy conditions -- I hope I'll remember

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

How to light a furance pilot light [ 3 Answers ]

My pilot light on my furnace need to be lite and not sure how to light a pilot light, I see the knob to turn that say on, off and pilot but not sure where to hold to fire and not sure if I need to hold the knob down that say pilot at the same time please help.

My intertherm furnace pilot lights but furnace won't kick on [ 5 Answers ]

I need some diagnostic help. We have a full propane tank. A new burner plate (last year) and the blower works. We light the pilot but the knob should pop up after one minute thus lighting the furnace. It won't pop up. What part should we replace? The furnace is a 17 year old Intertherm MGH...

Furnace won't come on unless you blow on the pilot light [ 2 Answers ]

We have a older rheem gas furnace with a honeywell 3300 thermostat. When we turn on the furnace, the pilot comes on, but does not ignite the furnace. However, if you blow on the pilot light, it lights right up. But you have to do this every time. When the temperature in the house gets cold,...

Pilot light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier upflow furance model 58GFA105-16 with a Honeywell programmable thermostat model ct3200. The pilot lights and is blue and strong. Every once in a while I will notice the air from the ducts is cool. When checking, the pilot is out. Lights as stated. I have noticed that when heater...

View more questions Search