Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecomoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2004, 10:07 AM
    How to start a thrift store
    Hi I hope anyone can help. I would like to start a small thrift store / gift & crafts. I have no idea where to start. Like permit or licence. I saw a place I really like. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks ecomoe :)
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Apr 17, 2004, 08:34 PM
    Check out this site:

http://www.tgtbt.com/startashop.htm

Good luck!
    wt4kp Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2004, 04:44 PM
    Re: How to start a thrift store
    These info might help you

Great resources and information
    http://www.startupbiz.com

Resources, advice, and a community of business owners for small business.
    http://www.ideacafe.com

Ask SCORE for Business Advice
    http://www.score.org

ncthunter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2004, 10:00 AM
    I like the tgtbt website posted above - it's really good for consignment stores. One of the best places for thrift stores is www.start-a-thrift-store.com where they have a training course available. They also sell a lower priced digital version of the identical course on eBay. Hope this helps, and good luck on your new store.
    xyrielle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2005, 04:38 PM
    Thrift Store Question
    Do you have to support a Charity or an Organization to open a thrift store or can it be just for personal business?
    kkemper1 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2005, 03:53 PM
    Are you asking the right/best question?
    WHY Do you want to open a thrift store?
    Where?
    What is your background?

Do u have a biz plan?
    xyrielle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
    Thrift Store
    My mom actually wants one for business so I'm trying to research for her whenever I can. So far I've only been able to get information from the links provided by the others who posted here and I haven't even read those sites thoroughly yet for the lack of time. Right now I'm trying to find out the basics, such as if it is mandatory to support charities/organizations or not. My mom has a background in business but it's been a while since she ran a business. She wants something that has modest income, which is why she wanted to open a thrift store but we don't know if it's tied or should be affiliated with a cause. It won't be a problem if there is, but at least it's a start as to how she can build the business.
    kkemper Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2005, 11:40 PM
    Thrift shop
    She wants a small income?
    Not a larger one?

Reach me on my email address
    We can discuss this further

[email protected]
    ab-solute Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Dec 10, 2005, 04:27 PM
    Have you checked with the chambers of commerce in your area?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 10, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Store
    Well first you need to figure cost, and see if you have a budget to afford to do this. Normally you will need to afford to pay all costs of business for a certain period.

You need to see if zoning will allow your sort of store in that area.

You will need a business licence, if you are not a "non Profit" group you will need a tax ID number ( at times both city and state) you will need to file quarterly reporting of sales tax from the business.

Also libility insurance if anyone gets hurt while in the store. And fire insurance to cover the property in the store.

Costs of signs, and other advertising

If you are going to have employess you will need workers comp insurance for them, and do all of the withholding for income taxes.

You also have to have suppliers for the material you are going to sell,

Also you may want to consider product libility if any product you sell could cause harm to someone.
    ddv0605 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well first you need to figure cost, and see if you have a budget to afford to do this. Normally you will need to afford to pay all costs of business for a certain period of time.

You need to see if zoning will allow your sort of store in that area.

You will need a business licence, if you are not a "non Profit" group you will need a tax ID number ( at times both city and state) you will need to file quarterly reporting of sales tax from the business.

Also libility insurance if anyone gets hurt while in the store. And fire insurance to cover the property in the store.

Costs of signs, and other advertising

If you are going to have employess you will need workers comp insurance for them, and do all of the withholding for income taxes.

You also have to have suppliers for the material you are going to sell,

Also you may want to consider product libility if any product you sell could cause harm to someone.

Hi, I would appreciate some help that will get me started. I am interested in opening a non profit organization but so far don't know where to start from? You can email me also [Personal emal address removed to protect privacy.]Thank you.
    shenning Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 01:11 AM
    There's a good reference, (How to Start a Resale Business) at consignment-software.com - pretty thorough.
    shenning Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
    How to Start a Thrift Store
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 10, 2008, 05:46 AM

Question is very old and has had a number of sufficient answers. Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do thrift stores do for insurance? [ 5 Answers ]

My mother and I are opening up a small thrift/consignment store in Washington state. We have bought the building. My question is: are there options out there? Are there any insurance companies that are specifically for thrift stores?

How to start a pound store? [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone have any ideas about how to get resource (stock) if I wish to open a pound store? Thanks for your help.

Store [ 3 Answers ]

Is their a way a person can open their own store on the internet without eBay & without breaking the bank?:o

Starting a Thrift Store [ 0 Answers ]

I am gathering information on starting up a thrift store in So. California. My dream is to sell what I love to buy and to tie the profits to a local charity. Where does one go to find out about non-profit qualifications? I am not interested in websites that get rich off me purchasing their...

View more questions Search