Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naydee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 10:57 PM
    I live on the Gulf Coast in a home that in 30 years old and has a slab foundation. The carpet in my hall way in front of the hall bath is wet and smells faintly like the cleaner my daughter just used in the tub. We rarely use that bathroom. The tile in the bathroom is fine, but once you step on the carpet and begin to walk down the hall it is damp in spots and soaked in others... Help... because it smells like the cleaning product. I suspect a drainage leak, but maybe it is from the line coming into the house... The damp carpet is in the direct line of sight to the water main in my front yard... How can I tell what type of leak it is? Thanks for any advice or opinion you can give me.

We found out what the problem was... (just a fluke it was in the sight line with the water meter in the yard). We rarely uese the bathtub in the hall bath. My daughter came to the house and filled the tub with water about one third of the way and put cleaner in it and was letting cleaner soak... she let the water out and the tub was draining slow. It was later we found the carpet in the hall way by the bath very wet and soaked in places smelling like cleaner... My husband took off the plug.from the tub. The plug lifts and down (screws up and down). He took it apart entirely... cleaned out a lot of hair out of the drain and saw a rubber gasket was off set and caulking was not present between the tub and drain pipe (worn off over time perhaps) allowing water, because of the clogged drain, to run past the gasket. Water seeped under the tub and under the tile floor and only became apparent in the hall way where we have carpet. Nasty? Yes, Replacing carpet? You bet... Repairing the tub drain? Yes... Cheaper than a slab leak or sewer leak?. Oh yes... This we can handle... And we had planned new carpet this winter anyway...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 05:09 AM

Glad you're all set! Pop back if you think we can help in the future... :)

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2010, 06:08 AM

I live on the Gulf Coast
    Greetings from Sarasota!
    Good job in locating the problem.
    We're always here if you ever need us. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tub drainage on slab foundation [ 6 Answers ]

We have a ranch home on a slab foundation. We are remodeling the bathroom so when I pulled the old tub up I discovered the drain pipe from the tub and the pipe coming out of the foundation were not connected. The two pipes lined up and water flowed from one to another but the excess water that ran...

How to find shower leak on slab foundation [ 19 Answers ]

I have a leak from my shower. The water appears to seep from wall at baseboards into bedroom closet. How can I find and repair? Home built in 1996. Is that type of shower/tub built on a base of 2x4's or is it set right on the slab foundation. I am thinking I could cut access hole in closet wall to...

Adding bathroom on slab foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to add a 1/2 bathroom in my home which is on a slab foundation. The new bathroom would share a common wall with the original bathroom. The toilet and sink would be back to back with the original bathroom toilet and sink. What is the best way to accomplish this with the least amount of tear...

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

Possible bathroom/bathtub leak or drainage issue. [ 8 Answers ]

I have a problem in my bathroom, by my tub/shower, but I don't know if it's a leak or what. Here's a little background: Bought the house in June of 2006. Had the bathroom redone entirely (tub surround, vanity, sink, cabinet, plumbing checked, drywall removed and replaced next to tub, drywall...

View more questions Search