Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tonyaj029 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 03:33 PM
    I did a land contract with a couple...
    There not making payments and I am takeing them to court... will the judge rule in there favor and give them the house.. even though we made the payments...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2010, 03:38 PM

Why would you possibly think that. What does the contract say about defaulting on it?

If the contract was written properly it should state that if they don't meet the contractual payments they forfeit the property. That's basic contract law.

Oct 6, 2010, 03:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Why would you possibly think that. What does the contract say about defaulting on it?

If the contract was written properly it should state that if they don't meet the contractual payments they forfeit the property. That's basic contract law.
    Well it is written properly and it was noterized but they keep saying that there taking the house it's a big mess I just wanted another opion and yes you said what I thought you would... that they don't have a leg to stand on...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyaj029 View Post
    well it is writen properly
    Hello t:

Who wrote it? A LAWYER? You?

excon
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2010, 03:52 PM
    Actually, depending on where you live, they may have a leg to stand on. In Texas, for example, doing "Contract for deed" transactions, or "rent to own" (as they're commonly called) was highly restricted several years ago.

Where are you (the property)located, when was the contract initiated? Can you give more details?

Oct 6, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinmommy View Post
    Actually, depending on where you live, they may have a leg to stand on. In Texas, for example, doing "Contract for deed" transactions, or "rent to own" (as they're commonly called) was highly restricted several years ago.

Where are you (the property)located, when was the contract initiated? Can you give more details?
    We live in Kentucky
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2010, 04:12 PM
    I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with Kentucky's laws, but I would strongly encourage you to find someone who is. These types of transactions have come under a lot of scrutiny in recent years - severely limiting them, regulating them and in many cases making them illegal altogether.

I'm sorry I don't know any specifics about your state, I just wanted to throw that out there. They may have more rights that you realize. What's happening here (and I actually know a couple of property investors this has happened to) is that there are such stiff penalties imposed on the "seller" if they're not following proper procedure that they can't pay, so by way of settlement they're having to deed the property over to the "buyer".
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 04:41 AM

Sorry but the only rights they have are the ones listed in the contract. Also notorised has nothing to do with it expect to prove who signed it.

If it was written properly, the day they went into default, it would have went from purchase to rental. And then you merely evict. I have used them for 30 years to sell many / or most of the properties I have. Including KY.

I would have course use an attorney, ( hopefully the one that wrote up your contract)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens when the owner of a land contract dies before the contract is up [ 1 Answers ]

The person who owns the land contract dies and there is no will, what happens to the contract?

Land contract [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I entered into a land contract 1 year ago. We have since found some pretty costly things wrong with the house and don't want to buy the house. It doesn't say anything in the contract about how to get out of it and whether there are any penalties to exiting the contract. What are your...

Land contract [ 1 Answers ]

Both my sister and I hv mortgages on our homes... She also wanted my home and I was ready for a change due to a divorce and do not need such a big home any longer... we owe the same amount on each mortgage so we want to swap houses... She has bad credit and cannot get another loan so we want to...

Land contract [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Before I got married, I had a land contract on our house through my mom who has no lean on the house. It's a 30 year contract but it only has my name on it. We now have kids and want to have her name on the contract as well. My mother also agreed to give us a better interest rate. She had...

View more questions Search