Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eddie0527 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 08:05 AM
    Tenant with a drinking problem...
    A friend who is a functioning alcoholic wants to rent my apartment. She would be a great tenant in all other ways other than her excessive drinking. She only drinks at home and doesn't cause a problem in that regard. My concern is that I do not want to be responsible or liable for her if she falls down and gets injured. What clause or condition can I incorporate into a month-to-month lease (NY State) that would protect me? Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 08:08 AM

In a word - you can't. You cannot legally limit a tenant's right to sue in the event of an injury in any way due to your neglect and/or unsafe conditions. With a fall down, of course, unsafe conditions are always the argument.

This is the same as asking passengers in your vehicle to sign a statement that you are not responsible if they are injured. They cannot waive their legal rights.

Functioning alcoholics do not make for good tenants.

I'm a liability investigator in NY. I've worked accidents when the lease contains a disclaimer for one reason or another - doesn't work.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie0527 View Post
    What clause or condition can I incorporate into a month-to-month lease (NY State) that would protect me? Thank you.
    Hello E:

Here's your problem... IF you mention ANYTHING about her drinking, you give HER grounds to sue you IF she DOES have an accident, simply because it is OBVIOUS you were "on notice" (a legal term), that she drinks...

Secondarily, you can't put in ANY provisions that limits her rights under the law. Finally, if you use a lease obtained from a landlord association, the standard clauses WILL protect you adequately.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2010, 05:03 PM

Functioning alcoholics don't make for good tenants regardless of what you have them sign before they move in as they can still sue you for "their" carelessness and trip and fall over their imagination. Best to pass this tenant up for another one who does not drink.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 05:24 PM

And the next issue is the word "friend" word of advice never, ever rent to a friend, they will expect you to give them more and not treat this like a business.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 06:54 PM

6 is the charmer do not rent to a friend, do not rent to an alcoholic. Oh yea, do not rent to an exspouse
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 7, 2010, 07:05 PM

Or any family, I have owned rentals for years and years, The ones I have regreted was to my wife's brother, never did get almost two years rent ( wife would not let me evict)
    The two times I wanted to help someone out down on their luck and let them move in with no deposit and let them clean it up for it, ( one took off with stove, fridge and more)
    The other was a person I worked with ( friend) they keep not being able to pay rent, not being able to pay, and then talked bad about me at work and to customers when I went to evict them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 with a drinking problem [ 10 Answers ]

I don't really know why I'm on here asking for help. I have a problem but I don't want to stop, yet I realize I'm damaging myself and maybe I need some advice. I was depressed for about 5 months. It was horrible. Therapy did not help at all and I felt hopeless. About a month ago, I started opening...

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

I have a problem with another tenant in my apartment building... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a huge problem with another tenant in my building. These people are absolutely insane! They have done nothing but cause us mental anguish and suffering. The eldest daughter of the woman who lives upstairs has harassed me and my children constantly. She leaves used condoms by my door, has...

Tenant problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lease with a tenant, the lease is in the month to month stage. The lease holds that tenant must give a 30 day notice to terminate the lease. Lease also provides that tenant can pay on the 2nd Wed of each month. Tenant is moving out next week, owing July rent, and technically is not late...

I think my dog has a drinking problem... [ 3 Answers ]

Our Basset Hound puppy won't stop drinking water when he has it available to him. It doesn't matter how much he's had, he just keeps drinking until it's gone, and his belly swells up like a watermelon until he pees it all out. How do we get him to stop? Thanks for the help. -B

View more questions Search