Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pnkjdwivedi2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2010, 01:23 AM
    Arthroscopy
    Arthroscopic procedures can be performed either to evaluate or to treat many conditions including torn floating cartilage, torn surface cartilage, ACL reconstruction, and trimming damaged cartilage.

**** edit*** I have deleted the somewhat hidden links that you put in your? question? It appears you really made a statement, and I will assume to advertise.

Please do not do this again or I will have to ban you
    Fr Chuck, super moderator
    ROLCAM Posts: 1,420, Reputation: 23
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2010, 01:45 AM
    Arthroscopy, is the technique of using an arthroscope to examine a joint of the body. An arthroscope is a straight, tubelike instrument with a series of lenses and optical-fiber bundles. It comes in sizes from 1/12 to 1/5 inch (2 to 5 millimeters) in diameter. It can be inserted into a joint through a small incision. A light transmitted by the optical fibers to the tip of the arthroscope illuminates the joint. Using an arthroscope, a doctor can thoroughly examine a joint and perform certain surgical operations.

Doctors use arthroscopy mainly on shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee joints. The problem most commonly treated by arthroscopy is torn cartilage in the knee. The doctor diagnoses this problem by looking into the knee joint through the arthroscope. Then the cartilage is removed with other instruments through a second incision.

The main advantage of arthroscopic surgery is that the operation can be performed through a small incision at the joint. As a result, a patient can sometimes have the surgery and leave the hospital the same day. Also, the patient experiences a minimum amount of discomfort, and healing time is much shorter than for other methods of surgery.

Contributor: James A. Hill, M.D. Associate Prof. of Orthopedic Surgery, Northwestern Univ. Medical School.

-

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Meniscus tears & arthroscopy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I hurt my knee just by standing up 2 weeks ago. When I stood up; I felt this pop & then my knee hurt & swelled up. The MRI showed a posterior horn meniscal tear & a medial "body tear", myxoid degeneration, & a parameniscal cyst. I have pain on & off which is manageble with advil EXCEPT the...

View more questions Search