Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 01:29 PM

The parents take the girl to visit a music hall and meet a conductor? No. (Missing the obvious.)

She asks what the stick is for? No.

Or she has previously seen a conductor waving a stick whilst the music plays? Yes. (Just so that's not misleading, "previous" to the time of our original statement.)

She therefore thinks the baton makes the music happen? Yes.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 01:33 PM
    She didn't get his attention... he wasn't practising, it was irrelevant whether there was an orchestra before...
    You asked "Were the orchestra musicians present?" Our scenario is about him handing her the baton - there is no "before" in your question.
    Is this what is confusing people?
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 02:56 PM

So... she saw him waving the baton, and thought the baton was what made music happen.

When her parents told the conductor about how she liked his magic musical baton, he presented her with one of her own.

When the music didn't play when she waved it around, she thought it was broken.
    kpg0001 Posts: 88, Reputation: 12

Oct 11, 2010, 03:07 PM

Did the girl think the stick was working during the 1-2min she had it before it "broke"?

Was there music playing in the background during the 1-2min?

Did the music turn off thus "its broken"?

Did the man turn the music off?

Oct 11, 2010, 03:14 PM

Does the girl have any psychological problems?
    Does the girl have a wild imagination?
    Is why the man gave her the stick relevant?
    Is why the girl there relevant?
    Are the girls parents relevant?
    Do her parents have anything to do with the man giving her the stick?
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 03:58 PM

Synn's got it.

I think something that has confused people is missing the obvious that they had been at a concert. Our little scenario takes place after the concert, and no one really asked much about what happened prior to the stick-handing. The girl didn't "borrow" the baton, and no one asked the conductor to do this. The parents simply told him the girl liked it, and he chose on his own to give her one as a gift - he wasn't asking her to "try it" or even use it at all - simply giving it to her.

There didn't need to be anyone present at the time, other than the man, the girl, and presumably her parents. Thus, the question "Were there musicians present," is answered correctly, as they didn't need to be present at this time, though I think that confused people. As I said, no one really dug much into what happened earlier, before this happened.

Now theoretically, this could have happened anywhere, at any time. I changed my mind on location and decided to place it in a music hall since that would make more sense to the average person. (Now me, I'm a musician, have a friend who's a conductor, am acquaintances with others, I've been all over with them, including their houses, etc. So I had to force my mind into placing this in a music hall, since your average person doesn't run around with conductors.)
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 01:04 AM

So... how's everyone's schedules? Is anyone game for another one? In another couple of days my schedule will finally lighten up just a little bit (except for those nasty Saturdays). It's not important that we do them quick, in case folks like Unky who want to have a break from studying here and there want to continue.

Kgp0001, welcome! Unfortunately that one got solved just as you were starting your questions. Didn't mean to ignore you - you're welcome to play.

Anyone else want to host? Unky, you've never hosted. :) Adam, jm, you around?

Or does everyone need a break? I'm always game - up to you.
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 05:22 AM

These are a great little break in my days. I never really have the time to host, but it's fun to help solve them!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 06:10 AM

Been busy, today was my first exam day. I feel I aced them, lol :p

But... I feel it's only calm before the storm (difficult papers) :eek:
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 13, 2010, 11:57 AM

I'm always happy to have a look in. Don't always have time to do much but it's fun to see what's going on anyway.

Good stuff with the exams Unky. Go you. :)
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 03:16 PM

Way to go, Unky!

OK, I can post another. It doesn't matter if it goes slow - just whenever anyone has time to come on. I'm kind of busy myself the next couple of days, but I'll get one up either later tonight or tomorrow night.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 09:05 PM

Here's a little short easy one. This one somebody with a reasonable imagination could probably just come up with, but you can ask questions if you like:

Wilma looked outside the window of her apartment and saw a man in the building across the street straddle a woman on a couch, stab her in the chest, clean up the blood, and take her money. It was the third woman Wilma had seen this man do this to, and the man did not see Wilma, but she still did not call the police.
    Expert

Oct 14, 2010, 05:25 AM

Is the man giving these women tattoos?
    Accupuncture?
    Is he giving them adrenaline for drug overdoses?
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Is the man giving these women tattoos?
    This would be the one. (Somehow I knew you could do this one.)
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 11:42 AM

Mildred took one glance at Reginald and knew instantly that he had been unfaithful to her.
    How come?

This one harder, but with your imagination...

Oct 14, 2010, 06:32 PM

Is the location relevant?
    Is it late at night?
    Is it early in the morning?
    This is a little graphic but I heard a story of this guy who cheated on his wife, came home and went to bed with her, woke up in the morning and got into the shower with her only to find out that he had forgotten to take the condom off from the night before and she saw it. Thus one glance and she knew he was unfaithful.
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2010, 09:30 PM
    Is the location relevant? Not really.
    Is it late at night? Irrelevant
    Is it early in the morning? Irrelevant

Quote Originally Posted by kpg0001 View Post
    This is a little graphic but I heard a story of this guy who cheated on his wife, came home and went to bed with her, woke up in the morning and got into the shower with her only to find out that he had forgotten to take the condom off from the night before and she saw it. Thus one glance and she knew he was unfaithful.
    That works, but not the answer. (Although I place no faith in a condom staying on at all, let alone all night. :D)
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Oct 15, 2010, 04:12 AM

Was there another person present?
    Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 05:35 AM

Was he in bed with someone else when she glanced at him?

Was he wearing someone else's lipstick?

Was he wearing clothing she didn't buy him?

Was his clothing somehow the issue that gave him away?

Oct 15, 2010, 06:11 AM

Was it a facial expression that gave it away?
    Did she spot him somewhere he shouldn't have been?
    Is she telepathic but only if she is looking at the person?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

And yet another lateral thinking puzzle [ 72 Answers ]

Deep in the forest was found the body of a man who was wearing only swimming trunks, snorkel and facemask. The nearest lake was 8 miles away and the sea was 100 miles away. How had he died? I'm new at this, so we'll see how it goes. I think it is a lot easier than Morgaine's train puzzle :)

Lateral Thinking Puzzle [ 850 Answers ]

Ok, here is another one and I am not sure if I like this one and it may be to easy to figure out but I will start with this one and go from there. In the middle of the ocean is a yacht. Several corpses are floating in the water nearby.

How about some MORE lateral thinking puzzles! [ 213 Answers ]

OK, Adam wants more puzzles. :D OK, first one is not really the yes/no question type. It is a lateral thinking puzzle, but more of a riddle and you just need to try to think of the scenario. There may be more than one logical explanation, but you have to guess the right one. A woman has...

New Lateral Thinking Puzzle [ 69 Answers ]

I decided to start a new thread cause ones that get really, really long start making me nutso after a while. This one shouldn't be as difficult as the albatross one was. (But I didn't say it was easy.) I flipped the tent flap open and surveyed the scene. On the floor, in the center of the...

Lateral Thinking Puzzle (Restaurant) [ 174 Answers ]

I brought this idea up on a different thread and a few said they were game, but anyone who cares to participate can. (Since this is games, is it OK to post it here, or should this move to the lounge or something?) The idea is that a scenario is given with very little detail, just a little...

View more questions Search