Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amb922 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 06:37 PM
    Running pvc water supply through foundation
    Hi - I'm running water into a shed under the foundation footing and up through the concrete floor. I read in the international residential code book that pipe under a foundation or through it needs to be protected with a supporting arch or pipe sleeve two sizes bigger than the water pipe. I can't seem to find much about this and in some of the plumbing books (e.g. black and decker) they seem to run pipes right in the concrete. So, is it necessary to pass inspection and, if so, what is a pipe sleeve exactly? Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2010, 08:48 PM
    Depends on what code your inspection people use. A pipe sleeve is nothing more than another piece of pipe, bigger than the supply size that is placed over the supply. That way, the crush weight of the ground or foundation is on the sleeve, not the supply.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 09:00 PM

In my area you cannot run PVC under slab. However, if you have to run it through a foundation wall than run it through a larger sleeve ( larger diameter piece of PVC pipe inbeded into concrete before pour ). For instance: if you are running 3/4" Schedule 40 PVC than run it through 1 1/4" PVC sleeve.

However, see if you can somehow run it through framing ( wall and ceiling ) so you don't have to go under concrete. There is always a way to do so...

Back to you... Milo

Oct 5, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Comment on Milo Dolezal's post
    Thanks. Should anything go inside the sleeve between the inner and outer pipe?
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Oct 5, 2010, 11:46 PM
    According to code you do not run pvc pipes under footings of a foundation because of ground settling. You are allowed to run parallel with a foundation with a distance of 2' and at a 45 degree angle. Also you are not allowed to run pvc pipes under slabs as well. Others such as copper, cpvc,and galvanize are permitted. I hope that answers your questions.

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2010, 05:37 AM
    We sleeve all pipes, with a larger sized pipe, that run through or under the foundation an we sleeve with Armoflex all the stub ups and manifolds that come out of the slab
    I'm looking at two posts that are telling me you can't run PVC under the slab. Although you didn't say does that include drainage as well as water pipe?
    Back to you, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Sleeve is only a spacer. It is there to keep concrete away and to create space for the pipe. Therefore, it can be in direct contact with concrete.

As per Tom's comment: It is OK to run non-pressurized PVC pipe (drain) under concrete slab.

Oct 6, 2010, 08:26 AM
    Comment on speedball1's post
    Its just the water supply going into a pressure tank, no drainage.
    So can the sleeve under the foundation be PVC?
    Is there any thing in the sleeve that packs around the inner pipe?
    Its OK to concrete right up against and around the armaflex?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 10:02 AM
    amb922-my well supply and power cable run through a wall spacer that is filled with silicone caulk. Been there 10 years, about 2 ft. underground, never had a problem. Brian ma0641
    argaiu1017 Posts: 92, Reputation: 8

Oct 6, 2010, 07:24 PM
    Yes, DWV pvc is allowed under slabs.
    PVC water lines are the exception.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water draining out of PVC pipe from foundation [ 4 Answers ]

There is HOT water that has been draining from the PVC (downspout) pipe which comes out of my foundation. Thought it might be condensation from AC due to hot weather, but I've had the AC switched thermostat to OFF for 2 weeks while on vacation - came home and checked pipe first - it has still...

PVC Plumbing on Hot Water Supply [ 4 Answers ]

I didn't know there was a restriction on hot water running through PCV plumbing. I had to run some pipe and replaced the old copper with PVC (not cpvc), including the hot supply. Now, I understand that up to 140 degree's PVC is OK. I did a temp check and my hot water is 130 degrees. What kind of...

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Can I replace PVC water supply pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a hot water supply leak under my kitchen sink. It appears limited to two PVC pipes(one coming straight from a metal pipe and the other joints downwards). Can I replace these pipes and if so how do I remove them? Should my local hardware store have what I need?

Quickconnect to gray pvc water supply [ 2 Answers ]

I used a male adapter with a quick connect to a 1/2" gray pvc water line.

View more questions Search