Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HumblePeacock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 05:42 AM
    US citizen looking to relocate to Florence, Italy to live & work?
    I have an interest to live & work abroad in Florence and would like suggestions of the current employment status in Florence, Italy. My professional background is in two industries -- Fashion industry and Media industry. I was laid off and would like to pursue my long term goal now which is to relocate to Florence, Italy.

Can someone please advise of companies that will help a US citizen find employent in Florence. I'm looking for a salary of $45K to $50K year. I understand I typed in US $ I apologize I'm still learning the conversion to European $ not sure what that will convert to yearly.

Also what are safe, clean, & culturally diverse residential areas in Florence to live in I could rent a 1bedroom apt.

I would appreciate as much information and help as soon as possible.

Thank you kindly.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2010, 06:47 AM

Word of advice... from someone who DOES have the legal ability to work in Italy, and actually has in the past.

The economic situation there is far worse than most of the USA. Unless you have a degree of fluency in the Italian language you are going to have problems... most of the world does not pander to those who do not speak the local language... Italy is no different. Florence can be VERY expensive to live, particularly the nicer zones. I haven't lived in Firenze but have longtime Italian friends that do. Its going to be difficult at best to accquire a work Visa. And count on taxes and prices being high. The average Italian wage is significantly lower than the same job in the USA ever considering the exchange. And you are certain to hit resistance from employers about hiring a non-citizen.

However with that said... its not impossible. Just want you to have realistic expectations... and the wages you described are what higher level managers would be making... not new or recent hires. Count your wage expectations to be Half what you are hoping for. And you won't be working in upper management on a visa and not being fluent in the language, business practices, business codes and culture of Italy, not for some time anyway.
    HumblePeacock Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Oh.

Thx.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2010, 09:13 AM

Sorry, didn't want to dash any dreams... but saw some unrealistic hopes in your original post... I worked there 6 years and spend about 30 days per year there for the last 2 decades. Have many In-laws there.. and have been on many interviews in the past. A job interview there is very unlike any you have had here... they usually have a separate interview AFTER you pass any technical ones to find out if your personality appears to be a fit for their corporate culture... because its VERY difficult and expensive to get rid of someone after they are hired. They take measures that I don't think would be considered legal here in the USA but are accepted practices there.

It can be a wonderful experience, IF you get the chance and know what to expect up front.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a US citizen but don't work nor live in the US, how do I get my husband to the US [ 1 Answers ]

Im a born US citizen but I don't work nor live in the US, my husband is dominican, we have been married for a year now, we don't want to live in the US we would like to go on vacation, how do I get my husband a tourist visa?

Canadian citizen to marry dual citizen (us/can) and relocate to US. [ 1 Answers ]

I am dual citizen (Can and US) born in Canada. Citizenship through mother who is American. Fiancé is Canadian. We both live in Canada now. I have been in Canada for 9 years working. We want to marry and relocate to states to be closer to my family. First, is it better to marry in Canada or...

View more questions Search