Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 08:08 PM
    Stag and Doe Dance
    Hate to admit it, but I've never attended a Stag and Doe. Done a million showers, but never a Stag and Doe.

I'm going to one Saturday night, and it is at a rented hall.

Do I bring a gift? Just a card? Give them money?

As to the couple, he is a friend of my son's, and we've known him since he was little. Have never met the bride to be. She is from England, and they will be getting married here in Canada, but moving to England shortly after.

And, these things are casual as a rule, right?

Thanks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 08:29 AM

I have never heard of such a thing - I have absolutely no idea. Fascinating. If you want company, call me - I'd like to see what this is about.
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 09:55 AM
    You would be a lot more fun than my date...

A gay couple I know that recently got married had a Stag n' Buck I think it was called, and the invite was on Facebook, and there was a comment from one of the organizers about a wishing well, and tickets that had to be purchased, which included some sort of food, I was out of town for it unfortunately.

I'm just going to get them a card and put a few bucks in it- pardon the pun. The probably don't need to be paying for shipping of gifts to England. I'll wear my usual black jeans, black t-shirt and maybe dip my face in some makeup. Bases covered!

Im beginning to wonder if maybe this isn't a Canadian thing.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:09 AM

Wonder if it's like a his and hers shower?
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:13 AM
    Maybe it is J9. I'm going to feel pretty stupid showing up under dressed, with no gift. My son has not responded yet, I'm not sure he knows the fine details of this, but I know another person who is going, I'll see if I can find him on Facebook and ask what it's all about.

Should be an interesting weekend to say the least.
    Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

Ta Da!!

Stag and doe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:21 AM

I think it's a bridal shower for both the bride and groom. (Dear Abby had mentioned this a while ago.)

Here's from yourwedding101 --

Stag and doe parties, or buck and doe parties as they're also called, are designed to raise money for the couple's wedding. Hosting this type of pre-wedding party requires a lot of careful planning. As the intent is to raise money for the couple's wedding the stag and doe party must make a profit, hopefully a large one.

The profits from a stag and doe party are raised through ticket sales. That's right - guests pay to attend a stag and doe. Far from being a point of contention most guests are all too pleased to buy a ticket. Not only does the money help the couple financially, but the guest also gets to enjoy good company and have a great time. Often if the guest can't attend the party personally they'll purchase the ticket just for the sake of the bride and groom - now that's a great friend!
    Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:24 AM

In this economy I think it's a pretty good idea!
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:25 AM
    OMG it is a Canadian thing! Laughing here... sheesh. Did not think to Google it, thank you for that. A fundraiser... interesting. I guess I'll go with the card and money then.

Thank you very much for that. We shall see how it all goes Saturday night.
    Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:26 AM

They do it in the UK too. Only there it's called Stag and Hen.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 6, 2010, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    They do it in the UK too. Only there it's called Stag and Hen.
    Shouldn't that be Rooster and Hen, in keeping with chicken terminology? Or Bull and Cow? Or Tom and Queen?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2010, 10:42 AM

Dip your face in makeup? LOVE IT!

(Is this like the restrooms that are marked something like Ganders and Something Else and I always stand there, not sure which one I am?)
    Emotional Health Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 06:30 PM
    Well, it was indeed a fundraiser. Held at a small rented hall, complete with tickets, draws, alcohol of all description, games, music, spin the wheel, etc.

They had a really cute Octoberfest theme, so everybody looked like a character out of Chevy Chases' European Vacation- remember the dance during Octoberfest? Really funny.

Admission was $15.00/couple, and they sold sausage on a bun with onions and saurcrout (not sure how to spell that and too full of turkey to look it up), for $3.00.

Met the bride to be, a lovely girl from England, and all the friends and family, many of whom I knew from the growing years.

I ended up winning a TOOL SET!! Complete with a ratchet set. The tool combo of my dreams, complete with a case. Now to find a place to hide it. Husband is jealous- he bought the ticket, but I won the prize. Makes sense to me.

Had a fun time, took some great pics, and left before people got stupid.

Sounds like the bride and groom to be did very well. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stag and hen party [ 5 Answers ]

I was not quitte sure where to put this question, but since travel brought me to it, I put it here. I stumbled upon the term "stag and hen parties". Exnglish isn't my first language, and I haven't got the slightest idea what it is. Research on the internet was no good, that's why I ask it here.

How do I change the way I feel about him going to the strippers For a stag party? [ 11 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years now and recently bought a house together. He is best man for his cousin's upcoming wedding and is in charge of planning the stag which will be at the strippers. He never goes to the strippers EVER! So I'm lucky that way but just the...

Which is correct - Doe, MD, John or Doe, John, MD [ 1 Answers ]

Which is correct? Doe, MD, John Doe, John, MD

What dance dance revolutiondo I buy for PS2. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: there are so many different dance dance revolutions for ps2 that I don't now what one to buy?I want to know witch one is the best.

DDR Dance Dance Revolution question [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question regarding DDR but first let me set the stage for my knowledge and expectations. First, I'm no gamer by ANY stretch of the imagination. I played Zork in College and once in a blue moon I'll play frogger. But if I'm interested in something I usually try not to let cost get in...

View more questions Search