Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andespeak Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 06:01 AM
    I live for free, no lease , in my ex boyfriends investment property. Can he evict me/
    Have lived here five years, occupying an apartment paying no rent
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 4, 2010, 06:05 AM
    If he wants you out then yes, he can have you evicted. He would have to go through the same procedure as if he were evicting a tenant with a lease, including written notice for the required time and filing a lawsuit for eviction if you don't move out.

It would not be legal for him to just change the locks, though. Even though you don't have a lease and don't pay rent you are still considered a resident and he would have to follow the landlord/tenant procedure for that state.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 06:57 AM
    If there's no written lease, then your "lease" is your state's landlord/tenant law (property code). If you're not in violation then he would have to give you the appropriate type of notice to terminate your rental agreement & have you move. (Typically 30 days notice - this can vary by state)

Eventually, he would be able to evict you by following the proper procedure - whatever it is in your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict a person from my home who lives here rent free and has no lease? [ 3 Answers ]

You have to go through with a formal eviction since he is considered a resident. You have to give him a written notice that his tenancy is terminated and he must vacate within 30 days. If he hasn't left after the 30 days is up then you have to file a lawsuit for eviction.

What happens if you live rent free in a foreclosed rental property? [ 9 Answers ]

We have been allowing a family to live rent free in a home we own, that is now in foreclosure in FL. There was a "fake" amount of money saying they paid rent on a "fake lease" that they only needed to register their children for school in the district. Now we have asked them to move out and they...

How do you look up your boyfriends background for free and get details [ 2 Answers ]

I am just wanting to find out about a guy who would like to have a relationship with me but I feel he is not telling me everything that I need to know about him

View more questions Search