Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 04:20 PM

Here is the answer for those who want to peak:

I had to look this up myself, cause I wondered if walking was considered "work." They are permitted to walk but only within a limited distance and we do not know the distance. It's about the purse. I don't know if the purse itself is allowed - I've not found anything saying a purse in and of itself is a problem - but it's about money. They aren't supposed to be carrying money, buying things, conducting business, etc. It appears to be based on the assumption that a purse would have certain prohibited items in it, like money. This is, in fact, one of the reasons they aren't allowed to drive - cause they'd have to have the purse/wallet for license, money, buy gas, etc.
    That's what I read anyway. Someone can correct that if they find otherwise.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 11:29 PM

Does the book provides this solution?
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 11:44 PM

The book didn't say much - the basic solution is there yes, but not the details. (My guess was about the walking, but no. I know the basics behind the Sabboth and even the strictness of the Orthodox Jewish religion. I just didn't know if walking was considered "work" but apparently not.) All the details I found in research cause I wanted the why's behind the answer and not just an answer.

Why, did you find something different?
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2010, 11:54 PM

No, it's just that this culture is strange XD

I would never have guessed the answer.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 01:11 AM

Orthodox Jew is pretty strict. They take the Sabboth pretty darn seriously, and food as well. I understand the whole clean/unclean food thing from the Old Testament but not sure where the kosher food idea comes from. And turning on a light switch being considered "work" is a little outlandish to me, but...

In the U.S. we're used to the religion - it's just not that "odd" to me, but I've grown up with its existence around me. Not to mention that it's the forerunner of Christianity. However, I don't know any Jews that are Orthodox, or even that Conservative. At least, not around my neck of the woods.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 01:27 AM

So the answer is that the guy trying to lure her away may have stolen the purse, but it wasn't stolen THAT day, because her cousin wouldn't have been carrying money or anything. Instead, what he probably found was a letter or note from her to her cousin that got her information and where she'd be, and so on.

Right?
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 02:11 AM

You were much closer the first time, very close. :) You tried to change your basic premise. I'm not sure if anyone else is still trying to solve this, so I'll just say SPOILER... and anyone who wants can stop reading.

You were right that she didn't have a purse, but the answer does not give any detail about it, nor does it give any information about how the guy got information about her. It says about nothing really. So as I told Unky, I researched it, and I simply didn't find anything about carrying a purse as being "work," so the "why" part of your answer doesn't seem to fit. You were otherwise right.

If you want the "why" I found looking it up, that's up in post #41.

I must say this does have me curious, just because I happen to be a very curious person. I might have to look into this more.
    Expert

Oct 10, 2010, 09:43 AM

I'm still confused on the answer, I guess. Is the answer you gave in #41 the answer to the puzzle? Or just the answer to the Sabbath rules for orthodox Jews?

Maybe I need more coffee.
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2010, 06:59 PM

I didn't mean for it to get this confusing. :o The answer in the book merely mentions the purse itself, and nothing about WHY she wouldn't have a purse, nor anything about how the guy got info about her or any of that. Merely said she wouldn't have the purse.

I took it upon myself to research what the rule was behind that. It didn't make much sense to me to tell us she wouldn't have a purse and not explain the rules behind it. I found their answer lacking. So I tried to research it. And that's what's in #41.

You went off on a completely different direction, so I'm wondering if you didn't see my answer in the white print where I said the purse was right, but that I didn't think it was the correct reasoning??
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:51 AM

I think I just misread.

I thought #41 was part of a discussion as to why she wouldn't have a purse, so I thought I must have missed something entirely.

I really did need more coffee :)
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 04:02 PM

Lack of coffee is always a good excuse for everything. :) (Though I don't drink it - at least not much and not caffeinated - so I can't use that excuse. Only lack of sleep.)
    Expert

Oct 11, 2010, 04:53 PM

I'm juggling too many things right now. Work is hectic, gramma is very ill, and I'm in school too--I spent most of my weekend skipping sleep to be on the phone with family or doing homework.

So... yeah. I still need coffee.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I'm rather juggling too much as well - it's not fun. This place has been my one diversion.

And I can't do coffee cause it does weird things to me, and I don't just mean giving me the jitters - just seriously weird things that are not good. So if I'm half asleep, too bad.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 08:03 PM
    8. Winnie-the-Pooh, Skyjacker

Stewardesses moved up and down the narrow aisles of the jetliner, collecting the last of the dinner trays. Sara Hull leaned back in her seat, hoping to nap a little before the plane landed in another hour. She was hardly aware of the tall, dark-haired man who stood up, pushed his way past the nearest stewardess, and held up two stuffed Winnie-the-Pooh bears.

"Your attention, ladies and gentlemen," he said, smiling triumphantly. "As those nearest to me can see, each of these little Pooh bears has been cut open and sewn up again. In one there is only what all true and authentic Pooh bears should contain-- a candy heart that reads 'I love you.' Remember that from your childhood? But in the other, there is also a little device I have placed, a little device that the unscientific among you would probably call a bomb. It is very sensitive. If I drop it at just a certain angle, an angle that I know very well, it will go off and all of us will go to our reward. However, if you prefer, only I will receive a reward. Young lady--" he half turned to the stewardess "--please go into the pilot's cabin and tell the captain what I have just told all these good people. Tell him I want the plane to put down in London, where I will be provided with a parachute and three hundred thousand dollars in cash--unmarked, of course. I'm not greedy. I could ask for more, couldn't I? When I have my supplies, the passengers can leave the plane. The pilot and one of you pretty stewardesses will stay with me until we find a suitable spot over Italy, where I will leave you -- after setting Winnie-the-Pooh down very, very carefully. And tell that husky young copilot not to try to jump me from behind -- Pooh Bear will drop at the touch of a hat, to coin a phrase. Go on, now, dear. And you--" he beckoned to another stewardess "--come up and stand close to me while your friend is gone."

The second stewardess moved forward. As she passed Sara Hull's seat, the librarian pulled at her sleeve.

"It's a hoax," she told the girl in a low tone. "Tell the captain this as soon as you can-- it's his decision, but I'm sure there's no bomb in that Pooh Bear." She continued whispering in the stewardess's ear.

The stewardess didn't get a chance to tell the captain until the plane had put down in London and the passengers were allowed to file off, while the skyjacker, bear still in hand, counted green bills in a suitcase with the other hand. But then the captain took his chance. He grabbed the bear from the skyjacker's hand and hurled it through the open door of the aircraft, into an area the police had cleared of people. It bounced harmlessly on the ground, as Scotland Yard men closed in.

Sara Hull stood in the airport lounge as the plane's crew appeared, and the captain kissed her in front of a TV camera and the world. "I wouldn't have had the nerve," he said, "if what you told the stewardess hadn't made me remember my little sister."
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 10:27 PM

Well, I'm not sure... but that's my 2 cents.

He was talking too much about " If I drop it at just a certain angle, an angle that I know very well, it will go off and all of us will go to our reward" and later said that "Pooh Bear will drop at the touch of a hat, to coin a phrase" those two are contradictory.

I don't think that the little sister of the captain has something to do with it unless Sara knew the captain.
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 11:30 PM

This one might be a culture thing, I don't know:

The sister relates indirectly, just because the captain knew of her toys. How familiar are you with Winnie the Pooh?

And the real truth is that a female would also be more likely to know this one. And hate to say it, but you also might be too young. (The book is from 1973, and some of the puzzles require knowledge that us old folks know. Will someone please tell me how I started getting so old?)
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2010, 11:41 PM

Ah... I might try something else then. If you say that this might be a culture problem, then I think I know what it could be about.

And... what did you mean by 'T'? It doesn't fit to a 'T'? :confused:

The Pooh bear never contains any 'candy heart that reads 'I love you.'. As such, the man couldn't have opened any plushie and inserted a bomb there. Though I find it strange that he would open up both and put a bomb in one of them, and mend them back, meaning he did nothing to the one without bomb...
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:32 AM

The T was part of a word - that was white stuff and I missed a letter. And I don't know that this is "cultural." There are some things I know and some things I don't - just like I didn't know horseshoes was mostly a U.S. game. :p

Anyway, as to your answer:

You know a bit about Pooh bears, do ya? :) You're correct there was no heart in them. Those were in Raggedy Ann dolls. I had one of those when I was a kid but I don't think they're around anymore (and probably worth a lot). So ... there was no bomb. If he'd opened one to put a bomb in, he'd know there wasn't any candy heart, so he didn't open it.

Again, the puzzle doesn't say this (these answers are usually pretty short), but I'd speculate that he simply cut a slit into them and sewed them back up to look like he'd actually cut them open, or he simply put sewing on it so that it looked like they'd been stitched back up. But he was bluffing. It doesn't say why he had two bears, but my guess is that no one would know which had the "bomb" and if they made a grab for one, they'd take the chance of grabbing the wrong one and he could still set off the bomb with the other. Seems reasonable.

Obviously the pilot wasn't totally sure, cause he still thew it off to a safe place in case it went off.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 02:37 AM

Lol it's only now that I see your spolier :p

No, I don't know about it, but something compelled me that it was it. I never even imagined that plushies could have food in them, lol. I know that for some occasions, people would stuff some hanging thing with candy and one child would try to hit it open to get the candies. But apart from that, nothing.
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2010, 03:16 AM

That's a piñata.
    Piñata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get on Unsolved Mysteries or 48 Hours Mysteries [ 3 Answers ]

My friend's son disappeared twenty years ago. He was nineteen. He went to a concert and went to the bathroom and was never seen again. The two other boys he was with left the concert and came home without him. They said they thought he must have already left. Local shows profiled the family. No...

Some VERY short books and short films inspired by our times [ 1 Answers ]

Some more very short books AND their accompanying movie adaptations 1) The complete Iraqi WMD photo album by Donald Rumsfeld Original title: "Don't look at me! I thought WMD's were a deli sandwich!" a great short film as well: YouTube - RUMSFELD'S BEST

A Short Novel [ 1 Answers ]

With all the elements: religion, power, sex and intrigue... "My God!" said the Queen. "I'm pregnant! I wonder who's?"

Mysteries Hot Water Tank [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water tank gurgles, it may gurgle when I turn on the hot water, or gurgles even when I turn on cold water. It’s more confusing it does not gurgle all the time maybe 25%. The tank (75g, gas) 5 years old, operates just fine, house water pressure regulator, set appx 60psi, I’ve adjusted the...

View more questions Search