Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alyon1110 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2010, 12:09 PM
    What is a typical hour by hour schedule for an RN working in a hospital?
    I need a schedule of what RNs do on a daily basis. I know there are many possibilities but a typical day schedule would be great.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 12:07 AM

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.

Now, what you are asking really depends on what unit you work in.

Typically, you go into work and get report. This consists of listening to the nurse who was on shift before you. She/he will give you all the info you need on the patients you will be taking care of that shift.

Then, after report, at most facilities, you will round on your patients. This means that you go from room to room to talk to them and let them know you will be their nurse for the next 8-12 hours.

After this, you will give them their medications as ordered, in a timely manner. You will round on them every hour or two (depending on the facility's policy). You will admit new patients and you will discharge patients either home, to another facility, or another unit.

Being an RN is a calling, it's not a job for everyone. It's hard work, lots of time on your feet. You HAVE to be a people person. You are dealing not just with the patient, but their family as well.

Nursing is not for the faint of heart. You will be dealing with needles, blood, smells of the like you have never imagined existed.

In the end, if it is a calling for you like it is for me, you go home every day feeling blessed that you made a difference in someone's life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Typical infant visitation schedule [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a first time mom to be. The baby girl is due in August. I wasn't dating the father, it was a one night thing, but we kept in touch. I told him I was pregnant shortly after my first doctor's appointment, and he has denied the baby is his. I went to school with his sister, so I have kept in touch...

Zero Hour [ 1 Answers ]

I saw a film in school around the 1980's. I think it was a scholastic 8 mm movie . It was called "Zero Hour" . It was about a group of kids playing a game "invasion". The main character is a little girl named Ming. It was set in the future. The game takes a twist and ends up being a real alien...

Hour cut [ 4 Answers ]

My friend works in the kitchen at a franchise he walk in to work and was there for an hour they told him to go home. Is there a law that states that they would have to pay him for at lease 4 hours

Pregnant and working 12 hour days [ 6 Answers ]

I am 5 months pregnant and I am a manager at a restaurant. At my job managers serve tables and it is a small location and very fast paced. I do not really get breaks, sometimes working the entire 12 hours with no time to sit down. I am required to do more work than the other women I work with,...

3-hour diet [ 2 Answers ]

Has anybody heard of 3- Hour Diet program by jorger cruise?? I just want to know is it effective?? If anybody doing this diet please reply me ~

View more questions Search