Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 3, 2010, 08:17 AM
    Light from CFL bulbs doesn't seem as bright
    I've had 60 watt CFL bulbs in lamps for years but just yesterday put a 100 watt one next to a regular 75 watt one in 2 hanging fixtures in my kitchen. The 75 watt regular looks a lot brighter than the 100 watt (and yes I waited). I was never really convinced about the 60 watt ones either; they all seemed lower light. I see that the box for the 100 watt says '1600 lumens, almost the 1650 lumens of a 100 watt regular bulb' so 50 off 1650 wouldn't explain it. I just wonder if anyone else feels the same way, since I suppose it's all been measured officially, and it must be my subjective view. Not a big deal I know.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 7, 2010, 04:04 AM
    I searched Qs and found a good answer:
    However, most times the incorrect "color" lamp is chosen. This is a bit complicated to explain, I will do my best:

I find that the color temperature of a CFL chosen is often incorrect when replacing an incandescent lamp, which is 2700 Deg Kelvin, (AKA 27K). Most times people are not familiar with CT ratings, and buy any CFL. I see that most stores offer 41K or at best 35 K. Look for a CFL rated 27K to imitate a incandescent lamp.

Even a CFL lamp rated 27 K will not imitate a incandescent lamp exactly with the same color rendering, difficult to create a fluorescent lamp with the same color characteristics. What would imitate a incandescent lamp would need to be a CFL at 27 K with a Color Rendering Index of 1. This does not exist, most have a CRI of 82. Need to look for a CFL lamp with the highest CRI rating possible.

Learn About Light: Color Rendering: GE Commercial Lighting Products

The best I could find is the following link, click on Interactive Color Booth, a separate window will pop up, and you can chose different lamp sources and compare the color of any two:

Learn About Light: Selecting the Best Color Lamp: GE Commercial Lighting Products

If a 41K lamp, even if the proper wattage or light output is similar to the incandescent lamp is chosen, a 41K lamp with the will make an area seem dark, due to color temperature and CRI.

I hope I made some sense explaining this, and how important it is to use a warm color CFL with a high CRI rating when using in place if incandescent lamps. I use them thruout my home, and in many commercial applications where color and CRI is very important, and the results are fanastic. No one can tell there are no incandescent lamps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash [ 0 Answers ]

Replaced a ballast and bulbs in a fluorescent light fixture and now the bulbs flash what is causing this

Ceiling fan light on, dims to bright, dims to bright. [ 2 Answers ]

I have two Hampton bay ceiling fans with lights. The upstairs unit has decided to have the light come on and what it does is get bright, dims down goes off and comes right back on. The remote only shuts it off for a moment. If I hold the off button on the remote down the light stays off. Switched...

Changing from 300 watt light fixture to a 52" ceiling fan w/ 2 13w CFL bulbs [ 7 Answers ]

As I understand it, I should be safe using the same wiring. However. The no. of wires, and their configuration when I removed the light fixture (5-60watt candelabra-based bulbs), has me seeking assistance. By the way. I did turn off the circuit breaker. There are three sets of wires coming...

CFL bulbs dying prematurely [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We are using CFL bulbs quite successfully throughout the rest of our house, except in the dining room where we have now had 3 die on us within the last 4 months. I believe regular bulbs were dying in the same light fixture too. We swapped the light fixture for the same model and have been...

Source for Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan CFL Light Bulbs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3X3 year old Hampton Bay Ceilings with PLSS13W2700 sprial 4 pin connectors. I can't find replacements that fit into the housing that are 4 pin. Anybody know of a source?

View more questions Search