Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 30, 2006, 05:31 PM
    Chainsaw stalls when turned
    Ok, so I have an old Homelite XL-12. It cuts fine for my needs, except it has began stalling and running erratically. This is especially evident if the saw is turned on its side, it will almost certainly stall within 5-10 seconds.:confused: I have replaced the fuel line and filter. I am not sure what to look at next. The carb? (I have determined it is a Walbro Sdc-62) and if so , what am I looking for ? Any help would be great

Thanks
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Dec 30, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrowrj
    Ok, so i have an old Homelite XL-12. It cuts fine for my needs, except it has began stalling and running erratically. This is especially evident if the saw is turned on its side, it will almost certainly stall within 5-10 seconds.:confused: I have replaced the fuel line and filter. I am not sure what to look at next. The carb? (I have determined it is a Walbro Sdc-62) and if so , what am i looking for ? Any help would be great

Thanks
    Great saw!
    If it is indeed a fuel starve the engine will race up before stalling, are you experiencing this? If so try the following, If not give me more details.
    The carburator is designed to run in any position so if it is a fuel delivery issue I would look again at the position of fuel filter and line. You replaced the line and filter because it started to deteriorate?

When you remove air filter and expose the carburetor you will notice four small screws holding the top on, under this plate is a screen desinged to catch particules before they get to the metering needle. This screen can and does get filled up.

To clean it you will first need to remove air filter bracket (2-5/16 head srews on either side if I remember right) then remove the four screws holding top on carb. Screen will be shaped like a small cup positioned in a round recess, it can be removed with small pick or paper clip.

When reinstalling screen DO NOT push to the bottom of recess, just install it so the top of the screen is flush with the body of carburetor.

If sediment is floating in screen it will rise up and then under load be drawn to bottom of cup and stall engine. When the engine dies it floats back up and the saw will restart until enough fuel is required to pull it down again.

Good luck
    Don
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Jan 4, 2007, 04:33 PM
    I am wondering if anyone can provide any advice on removing crankshaft seals from this saw (or any similar 2-cy engine). Saw is apart now and seals are exposed.

Thanks
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jan 4, 2007, 06:22 PM
    If the seals are causing the problem then the bearings are probably bad.. . Does the crankshaft move when you grab it? Seals WILL cause the problem you have previously described, when you turn the saw in different directions it acts like a gyrascope and if bearings are bad the crank will move enough to cause leak of crankcase vacum and or air leaks. Seals will solve problem for a short time.

Removing seals without proper seal puller is as simple as getting a flat piece of metal with a hook between the crank and seal and levering up. I used to use a bar groove cleaner. A small flat blade screw driver will can work. Everyone has adifferent method.

Good Luck,
    Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

91 CRX Stalls then starts again [ 1 Answers ]

I've had this car for years, a few years ago the coil went bad and I had it replaced at an auto shop. Several months later it started stalling on me while driving. It wouldn't sputter or anything... it would just shut off. When I go to crank it again, it turns but doesn't start. If I wait maybe an...

WeedEater Rider stalls after 3-4 minutes [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weedeater rider with a tech engine. I spent $165.00 to get it tuned up back in May 2006. I used it about 15 times this year. Roughly 40 hours on it. The reason why I spent $165 to get it fixed was it kept on stalling after I ran it for 3 to 4 minutes. Well it's happening again. The...

1997 jeep wrangler stalls, will not start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1997 jeep wrangler. A few days ago I was waiting at a stop sign and when I went to pull out my Jeep stalled then completely quit. I assumed it was a fuel pump and replaced the fuel pump module (ouch!). I drove the jeep for 15-20 minutes trying out the new repair and the Jeep died again...

19hp briggs new carb and stalls [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all new to the fourum I have a question I hope you all can help. I have a murray lawn tractor with a 19 hp briggs. I put a new carb on it and the tractor runs but stalls under a load like it is running out of fuel. When I inspected the carb the bowl was full of gas and clean. The mechanic I took...

94 skylark stalls [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 94 Buick Skylark which has started stalling when I come to a stop. It only does it after maintaining a constant speed (hiway and such) and come to a complete stop. After it stops it stutters and dies. It will start right back in either park or neutral, but when shifted into a "movement"...

View more questions Search