Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ccr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 02:14 PM
    Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in
    Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed together and signed an 18 month lease-option at the end of Sept. She gave a portion of the option money at the signing (there was no security deposit) and was to give the rest upon moving in. The tenant was to move in Nov. 1st. During the next 30 days, I bought a home warranty, which was part of the contract, packed up and put most of my things into storage, and got a temporary housing 60 miles away. I attempted several times to contact the tenant to keep her informed of what I was doing to comply with the contract. She was suppose to get the house inspected so I could correct anything prior to her move in. She never responded to my emails or phone calls. I began to think she was backing out and contacted a Real Estate Agent in case I had to put it back on the market. But on Oct. 27th, I finally got a hold of the tenant, who apologized profusely for not getting back with me.. and confirmed that she would be moving in. We arranged to meet on Nov 1st at 7PM to exchanges keys and rent. I had someone come in a clean, but still had a few things in the townhouse that I needed to remove. On Oct 31st I called and emailed the tenant to let her know that I had some things to still take out of the garage and wondered if we could change the date to Nov 2nd, so I could complete this task. She didn't respond. On Nov. 1st, I contacted her at work and she told me she could wait until the weekend to get the keys, because she wouldn't be moving in until the second week of Nov. Once again we confirmed a date and time (Nov. 4th at noon) to meet.

A few hours later, I get an email from her stating that she her "ex-husband is filing for custody and she is going to have to fork out alot of money for attorneys so she wouldn't be able to do in ...Sorry"

I've finally got a someone elsemoving in Jan 1st. Can I hold the contract breaking tenant responsible for 2 months rent where the place was empty? What about the money I put out for home warranty?

What is her responsibility? What is mine?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 02:26 PM
    She is responsible for exactly what she signed for in the lease. That is your contract and you needed to write it up for your protection and expect her to move out and not fulfill it, Most rent to own always end up with them moving.

So what ever you obligated her to in the lease is what you can sue her for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord wants to break tenant lease [ 5 Answers ]

I need to move back into a condo that I have leased. The lease expires in September 2007. I can not wait that long to make my move. Can I legally break that lease?

KS lease with option eviction laws [ 1 Answers ]

I have a home in KS, we did a lease with option contract, the leasers are over $8000. Behind on rent. I would like to know what I do to evict them in the state of Kansas.

Can I add a tenant in the middle of a lease? [ 5 Answers ]

A couple I rented to has separated and they were not married. She moved out, he stayed. He then asks me to add his "new" girlfriend to the lease. I have her sign a sheet that states she is entitled to all rules/regulations in the actual lease. Is she a valid tenant even though the other girl was...

New tenant with prior bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering renting to a person who declared bankruptcy last year. Credit report shows the problem stems from charges made in 2002 and in prior years. Her advisor recommended she declare before the laws changed last year. Credit report shows she no longer has any credit cards and has had no...

Help lease option [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal for a landlord to walk in hand you a lease option paper asking for a high amount of money and give you 30 days to move if you do not have it? Then to ask for a counter proposal which I did, all in writing he had not seen it we discussed ot over the phone a agreed I sent a check he...

View more questions Search