Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    glyn evans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Network troubleshooting
    I have a desktop PC (A)connected by ethernet cable to a wireless router. I have a second PC (B) connected wirelessly to the router. Both computers have been assigned IP addresses by the router. Both PCs can successfully access the internet via the router. I want to share files between them. I can ping A from B, but cannot ping B from A. How do I get my 2 computers to recognise each others presence?
    master_of_none Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 06:27 PM
    What Operating System (OS) are on both computers?
    Ensure that both computers are on the same network.
    To check this "right" mouse click on "My Computer" and go to "Properties".
    The go to computer name and ensure they both say "Workgroup"
    glyn evans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Thanks for taking the trouble to respond.

FYI both computers are running Windows XP Pro and were in the same network. I have actually managed to solve the problem now. It was due to the firewall in Norton Internet Security 2007. This was running on both machines. It appears to have been blocking the ping from the wired machine to the wireless one. By disabling the firewall on the wirelessly connected machine (B) it became visible to A and everything seems to be working fine now. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Troubleshooting thermostat circuit [ 4 Answers ]

I came home from work and my girl railroaded me about the heat not working. Of course it's the first cold day in Saint Paul. Our thermostat is pretty old and missing its faceplate so I thought replacing it would be a decent first step. I bought a Honeywell programmable one for twenty five bucks...

Second HD troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, here's the skinny... Intstalled my girlfriend's HD (Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB ATA/133 HDD) onto my computer as a 2nd HD(slave). All jumpers are set correctly, all cables are correct (not the 1st time I've done this). Everything works fine, it's detected and I do have access to it. ...

Circuit Breaker Troubleshooting [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased an old farm with a water well. It was checked last summer with the pump company's pump (I assume they used their pump because there was no power at the property then) and it pumped well (15 gpm). Now I have electricity and tried to power up the pump. The fuses are the old...

Troubleshooting my Sprikler controller [ 5 Answers ]

Recently the Richdel 404 controller of my sprinkler system ceased to work. I don't know much, but checked for 24V supply and found none. I then looked in the box next to the controller and found an electrical block with two "hot" 120V inputs (still hot) and two (I assume) 120V outputs , (not...

View more questions Search