Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    heyyalliee Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2010, 11:21 AM
    another physics question about mass and force
    To move a large crate across a rough floor, you push on it with a force F at an angle of 21 degrees below the horizontal.

Q.Find the force necessary to start the crate moving, given that the mass of the crate is 32 kg and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor is 0.59.

I thought I could solve for N by N=mgcos(theta) but I think I have it all wrong.
    Help?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2010, 11:40 AM

If I understood well, the crate is on horizontal ground.

Find the maximum frictional force on the crate.

Now the force should exceed this, but since it's applied at an angle, you have to break it into components.

Horizontal component =

Then, a vertical component

Now, since you have an additional vertical component, the reaction of the crate on the ground is decreased.

So, we get:

Hence:

Oct 1, 2010, 07:08 AM

Okay I follow you just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

My horizontal component was 17.63 and Vertical 6.766.

To solve for mg I did 32g+ 6.766 and got 38.77.

Now to find the force necessary to move crate
    do I do this? ( Assuming that the x in the problem you gave me was multiplication)
    .59(38.77-6.766)
    I get 18.88.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2010, 10:15 AM

I'll try re-explain. Maybe I took the wrong approach earlier.

As you can see you don't know the value of the force on the left nor the value of the frictional force.

On the left (in blue) is the horizontal component of the force applied and on the floor on the right is the frictional force.

At equilibrium, the blue line and the frictional force are the same.

Okay, now, we need R.

We can find R by resolving the vertical components. (I didn't show them in the picture)

Downwards, you get mg + Fsin(21)

Upwards, you get R.

So, we get:

Use that in the horizontal forces equation:

From this, you will find the value of F. (I'm taking g = 10 m/s^2)

So, as soon as the force applied exceeds 261.4 N, the crate will start moving.

Oct 3, 2010, 12:54 PM
    Sorry I was confused for sure. I try to oversimplify too much. It's the components that always confuse me. I have a hard time visualizing it and then finding the right equations. I appreciate your help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

Physics - Force [ 1 Answers ]

An elevator car is moving vertically inside a building. A tension force T in a cable pulls upward on the car, while a gravity force Fg pulls downward. Compare T to Fg for each of the following situations. Note the magnitude of each force (for example, “T is much bigger than Fg”) 1) The...

Physics Force [ 4 Answers ]

I know that there are 6000J of work in this problem because I solved it using Potential Energy. I did (20kg)(30m)(10m/s^2)=6000J I have a can of toys that weighs 20kg and it is dropped 30m and makes an indent in the sand below .402m. I am supposed to find the force the sand exerts on the can of...

A physics student pulls a block of mass [ 1 Answers ]

A physics student pulls a block of mass m = 22 kg up an incline at a slow constant velocity for a distance of d = 3 m. The incline makes an angle q = 29° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inclined plane is µk = 0.3. WORKdone=479.15 b)What is...

Finding mass in Frictional force problems [ 3 Answers ]

I need to understand how to find the mass when I am working on a frictional force problem. I am given the mass of a previous trial and I know gravity and the static or kinetic friction but I am trying to find the mass of the object in trial two... how would I go about doing this? :confused:

View more questions Search