Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Truckz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2006, 11:53 AM
    Canterbury tales paper
    I'm in high school and am doing a paper having to do with the canterbury tales.I was wondering if anyone could tell me where the chivalrous code, or the phrase courtly love comes from? :confused: I really need help my grades and job depend on this!

-truckz
    obudjo2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckz
    im in high school and am doing a paper having to do with the canterbury tales.i was wondering if anyone could tell me where the chivalrous code, or the phrase courtly love comes from? :confused: i really need help my grades and job depend on this!

-truckz
    "Courtly love" was a concept infused in the songs and stories of troubadors during the eleventh century. This type of love was romantic love for romance's sake. It was a love that created an isolated universe between the two lovers and transcended any other earthly relationship or responsibility. Troubadors, who sang of this kind of love, most often performed before nobles and monarchs who were subject--or slave--to arranged marriages and relationships weighted by the responsibilities of maintaining stature or bearing the weight of a kingdom's needs. Over the next two hundred years, the stories of this courtly love gained in popularity and even began to influence the reality of such historical figures as Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Courtly love had several key features:
    1) It appealed to--and was usually practiced by--nobles and royalty.
    2) The male figure was seen as a servant who courted the female through elaborate rituals that often included gifts and special feats performed in honor of the woman. These rituals--and the reason why--might have been made spectacle in the public arena.
    3) The courtly relationships were most often extramarital. From the perspective of the lovers--and the philosophy of courtly love--the pursuit of one another's love, despite the forbidden nature of the relationships, was only evidence that this was the truest, purest form of love.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scared for high school [ 16 Answers ]

I'm going to be a freshman next year and me and my friends are scared ****less does anyone have any advice on high school like what to do and what not to do for us. And are the freshman anything like do all the upper classmen just ignore us or do they hate us or something Please help me out ...

I still love my high school sweetheart [ 10 Answers ]

The man I love is married and he says he is going to leave his wife for me. He says he still loves me and wants me back as his wife. I don't know what to think I love him still as well. Alls we do is talk about how much we love one another and how much we miss one another. I have a feeling that it...

High School Sweetheart 17yrs. Later [ 15 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out what's going on here. Here's my situation: A year and a half ago my high school sweetheart emailed me out of the blue. I'm trying to figure out where things are going, good or bad, I'm often confused by the situation. Here's background: We dated for 2-3 years in...

Do I need a high school diploma to... [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't know, witch thread to put this under but do I need a high school diploma to go to a trade school or college class. And how much would it cost to get my diploma online?

High school interns [ 1 Answers ]

I am implementing an internship program for high school students in central Florida.  the focus of the program is to expose/preview career options upon graduating from high school through continuing education.  hopefully the intern will have a better perspective of what they want before they get to...

View more questions Search