Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ar1elex15 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 02:13 PM
    How do I figure this out
    Which would hit the ground first if dropped from the same height in a vacuum, a paper weight or a rock? Would the result be different on the moon?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 02:34 PM

This is the famous Galileo experiment of dropping two objects of different weight off a tower and seeing which hits the ground first. Consider this:

According to Newton, F = ma. The F (force) that is operating when you drop something is equal to its weight, so

F = W = ma.

An object's weight is its mass times g, the acceleration due to gravity. So

W = mg

and hence

W = mg = ma

Cancelling the m's:

a = g.

In other words, ALL objects fall with the same acceleration 'a' regardless of their mass. And that acceleration is equal to the acceleration due to gravity.

Now, can you answer what would happen on the moon, where the local value of 'g' is somewhat different? Clearly obhjects fall slower there (as you can see if yuo've ever seen any of the old videos of the Apollo moon landings). But do ALL objects fall at that reduced acceleration?
    joshAU Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2010, 04:20 AM
    As far as my limited understanding goes, they would hit the ground at the same time, both here and on the moon.
    The only difference would be wind resistance, negated by the vacuum, as on the moon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fashion figure n normal figure [ 2 Answers ]

What is the difference between a fashion figure and a normal figure.

Figure this out [ 1 Answers ]

On a recent blood tesr an individual had a hemaocrit reading of 42.6 and the 95% limits for the hematocrit reading are 36.0 and 50.0 a.)What is the mean hematocrit level if those are the limits? b.) Should the individual be concerned about the reading found?

Trying to figure something out. [ 10 Answers ]

As you all know I'm a little brain dead when it comes to dating... hahaha... But I just got out of a really great/bad relationship I loved him, but he still loves his children's mother you know how that goes, but anyhow. My mother decided to play match maker with her friends son with me. So I...

View more questions Search