Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Sep 28, 2010, 11:46 PM
    Viruses - Remove or Quarantine?
    Hi all,

Hopefully an easy question to answer.

In my Anti Virus program (MS Security Essentials) if a virus is discovered it is either removed or quarantined.

If it is quarantined I have the option to completely remove it if I wish.

(1) Once a virus is placed into quarantine does this mean that it has been neutralised and is no longer a threat?

(2) If I remove a quarantined virus does, or can it, harm my PC or any files installed on it?

(3) If I remove a quarantined virus and it does prevent any of my applications from working can I restore it and place it back into quarantine? Especially while using MS Security Essentials.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cy
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 29, 2010, 12:16 AM
    Personally I have my anti-virus set to draconian, i.e. NUKE on discovery, no messing about.

Quarantine does place the offending file into a secure and sterile environment were it cannot do any harm. I just think this is a needless step.

Sep 29, 2010, 05:40 AM

Hi Curlyben,

Thanks for your reply, it is most appreciated.

I can certainly see why you get rid of them as soon as they are discovered.

However MS Security Essentials does say that if you totally remove some viruses which have been quarantined it could cause problems with some programs, or indeed the OS itself.

This is why I asked about the possible dangers of the quarantine option.

Cy
    BossMan

Sep 29, 2010, 05:42 AM
    Yeah I've read those dire warnings as well, but as my AV is set to scan on read and write they never get that far into the system.

No problems so far and that's on my while 200+ machine domain.

Oct 1, 2010, 12:17 AM

Thanks Curlyben.

I have set my AV to delete all except Low Level threats.

I am allowing the AV program to do the recommended actions with any Low Lever threats.

Can't give you a rating I am afraid so please accept this as my thank you for your help.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    BossMan

Oct 1, 2010, 12:41 AM
    Na problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does norton antivirus software remove viruses [ 2 Answers ]

So I have a virus that goes on my msn account and sends random people links. I've been told to install Norton Antivirus to delete the virus then uninstal messenger and reinstall it. Will this completely remove the virus?

Does norton antivirus remove viruses [ 2 Answers ]

My computer says it has about 40 viruses on it and it keeps getting more and things pop up every ten seconds about it, I don't know how it got all these viruses, and now I can't go on things on my computer such as itunes and other things like that because it says its infected by viruses. But is...

Does norton antivirus 2009 remove viruses that are present in your computer? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I have a virus in my computer now. I tried all the things people had told me to do and nothing has worked so far. So I want to buy norton antivirus 2009 but I need to know if it only blocks viruses or does it take them out as well if they are present in your computer? If it does how does it work...

If I return my laptop back to factory settings will it remove viruses [ 2 Answers ]

If I return my laptop back to its factory settings will it remove viruses

I have several viruses I can't seem to remove [ 2 Answers ]

My computer has recently become plagued with viruses, and I can't seem to get rid of any of them. I cannot do a system restore, and I cannot delete any of the bad files I actually find. The following are my problems: 1: When I open my Internet Explorer, "Security Toolbar 7.1" appears, and I...

View more questions Search