Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matt_humphries Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 07:10 PM
    US inheritance, Canadian resident
    I'm a US citizen residing in canada and have inherited a $50,000 IRA. It will be rolled over to a beneficiary IRA and I will claim it spread out over the next 5 years to reduce the tax burden (I'm assuming no automatic %10/30 withdrawl and I'll have to claim each years inheritance as part of my canadian income)... Easy... I think. The hard bit is that my two children are also beneficiaries ($10000 each) and they are non-us persons. I we want to cash out the IRA to put into RESPs, I think that they will have to automatically pay 30% withholding and that I will have to file a special 1040NR to get the taxes back (I assume they will get it all back since they will eseentially be in a 0% tax bracket in canada). Does all this sound right?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 06:22 AM

You are U.S. citizen so you will always file resident return even if you do not live in U.S.
    If you inherit a traditional IRA, you are called a beneficiary. Beneficiaries of a traditional IRA must include in their gross income any taxable distributions they receive. All income in a traditional IRA is taxed as ordinary income. Any capital gains within the IRA receive no special treatment that is it is treated as an ordinary gain.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 09:14 AM
    If YOU are a U.S. resident and must file Form 1040, your children will also file Form 1040 if you claim them on your tax return as dependents.

If not, then they will file Form 1040NR and probably can avoid taxation in the U.S.

I would have to research the U.S.-Canadian Tax Treaty to be sre, but that kind of research takes quite bit of time and will NOT be done without compensation. Email me at [email protected] if you want to hire me to do the research.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Traditional IRA Inheritance from US resident to Non US Resident [ 1 Answers ]

I have inherited a traditional IRA from my brother - a US resident. I am however, a non resident. I have been asked to complete a W-8 BEN tax form and include an appropriate rate of taxation. I am unsure if I am liable for if any (not in my country of residence - I have got that confirmed)...

Divorce in canada - not a canadian resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife have been in canada on a work visa for 1.5 years. I own a company here. We would like to get divorced and I would like to know if we would be recognized under canadian law or would we have to get divorced in the UK where we are from. Thanks

Any specials for canadian PR (permanent resident) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, My status: (1) F1--->OPT--->H1B, H1B took effect in Nov. 2006, so I think I only can file as NR (using 1040NR) (2) My wife came to US and stayed here from 8/1/2006, she holds the B1/B2 (visitor visa) until the end of year 2006. In Jan. 2007, she changed her Visa to H4 (3) Both of us...

How would 1099 affect a Canadian Resident [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I just got a job offer by an American company and they would want me to go with 1099, but I will be working in Canada specifically Ontario. So my question is, how does this affect me or my income? Can someone help me better understand how 1099 works for a Canadian Resident employed by a US firm...

View more questions Search