Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MasonRacin Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 30, 2006, 02:38 AM
    Sacrifice BF for college
    Long story short, I'm 20, my boyfriend is 24, we live together in upstate NY in a relationship of about 2 years. We love each other very much. I have always had a dream of being on the NASCAR circuit (I know, weird for a girl) and I have had my heart set on going to NASCAR Tech in North Carolina. This fall, my dream will become a reality. However my boyfriend refuses to accompany me and knows as well as I do, I will probably get a job in a NASCAR garage and not want to come back to NY. I don't have anyone here aside from parents. I'm not a really social person so I don't have a lot of close friends and the one close friend I do have, well she's moving with me for an internship in Charlotte. I currently race dirt track cars and racing of all kinds has always been my life. This is something I have made a decision on. My future comes first and I cannot let a relationship hold me back. It hurts so bad to leave him. How do I deal with this? He tells me that once winter is over he will be leaving me to save himself of the heartbreak in September. I won't be able to pay rent by myself and save for a new place in NC if he does this. I know I will manage but it will be harder. I'm just so confused, I know what I want to do, but to get it, I must leave the one I love. I just need advice, I know what I'm doing I know how to go about it, but I don't know how to deal with my emotions.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2006, 06:28 AM
    I went back and read your other thread and I think maybe you and your boyfriend are growing apart. I know how painful this can be to accept in a major living together relationship, but it happens, and it isn't necessarily anybody's fault, and there isn't necessarily anything that can be done about it. If you gave up your dream and stayed in NY to try and save the relationship, what do you think the chances are it would work? From the sound of it, I'd say not very good. Is that small chance worth giving up your dream for? It's for you to decide, but if it were me, I don't think so.

It sounds like you've already made the decision to go, and that's good. Just recognize that there's a grieving process to go through after the loss of a serious relationship, and there's no escaping it. Be patient with yourself and with him. It's going to be hard on both of you and you may both do and say some things that you'll regret because of the pain, but try to keep it to a minimum and keep your focus on coming to a point of acceptance without blame. I wish you all the best.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 10:04 AM
    Follow your dreams, Good luck!!
    richsaha2007 Posts: 53, Reputation: 6

Dec 30, 2006, 01:32 PM
    The decision you are making now is the best choice. You can't let anyone get in the way of your dreams. THis a wise choice to make. Since he is going to break up with you, you can just keep busy to keep him off your mind. Another way to manage is to simply start dating again.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 30, 2006, 01:59 PM
    If and when you choose your work over the person you love, you don't really love them.

If you really love someone, nothing will keep you apart. This really needed to be something discussed at the early part of the relationshiop, not after investing several years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

College or Marines [ 38 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance. For the longest time I've wanted to serve my country, after September 11th my will became greater. I am a senior in high school and for the better half of the year I had been fixed on enlisting into the Marines right after I...

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

College [ 6 Answers ]

With colleges that require you to live on campus the first year or two, will any allow you to bring your baby with you? I know Longwood allows it in certain cases but I was wondering if anyone knew of others that did. If not does anyone know if those colleges will let you live off campus instead?

Electoral College. [ 1 Answers ]

A state having two Senators and one Represenative in congresss has how many Presidential electors in the Electoral College?

View more questions Search