Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuppert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 01:51 PM
    Based on Internal Revenue Service rules, what criteria distinguish a consultant fr
    Based on Internal Revenue Service rules, what criteria distinguish a consultant from an employee?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tuppert View Post
    Based on Internal Revenue Service rules, what criteria distinguish a consultant from an employee?
    Hello t:

The distinction isn't between consultant and employee... It's between a contractor and an employee. Therefore, if you're a self employed contractor, you probably have a contract. If not, that doesn't eliminate you.

I suppose your employer/contractee is saying you're a contractor/consultant so he doesn't have to pay his share of FICA, and/or didn't deduct anything from your paycheck... Or, something like that... If not, please tell me.

You could be considered a self employed/consultant/contractor if your employer doesn't set your hours, and pays you for the task you complete rather than the hours you put in. If you're expected to BE at work during certain hours, you're an employee.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 07:33 AM

The determination of contractor versus employee can be a bit fuzzy, but in general a contractor does not have a "recurring" relationship with the client (i.e. doesn't necessarily work only for that company, and/or works irregularly), is not paid by the hour (or week, or month), is expected to provide his own tools and training, and is not required to be present at the employer's place of work for a set time. This site gives as good list of 20 factors that can affects the "employeee versus contractor" question:
    Twenty Factor Checklist to Determine Independent Contractor vs. Employee Status - Small Business

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dept. Of Treasury - Internal Revenue Service [ 2 Answers ]

Requesting physical address for Internal Revenue Service, Atlanta, Georgia so that individual income tax return may be sent by Federal Express.

Count a criteria based on a second [ 4 Answers ]

Please refer attachment. I need to count a criteria based on a second. For sheets "Adjustments" cells "B16" should count "IF" sheets "Prod A-Prod D" columns "C:C"="Charge hand" and columns "X:X"="A". For sheets "Adjustments" cells "B17" should count "IF" sheets "Prod A-Prod D" columns...

Weekly sum (5 days by 5 or 7 by 7.) based on dynamic criteria. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello! I'd like to make a weekly sum but with a dynamic criteria which I can choose. I have a column with a formula that gives me negative and positive values. The weekly sum only starts when this column is above or equal 1. I want to sum 5 by 5 days (5 by cells from another page in the...

Distribute data among agents based on specified criteria [ 2 Answers ]

Respected Sirs, Im new to VB :( and desperately in need of this. I need to distribute loans that are received from different states among agents, in such a way that no single agent receives only one state loan, but the loans(per state) are distributed among all. In case the loans(of a...

View more questions Search