Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjaded Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 09:40 AM
    Papillon itching
    I have a 2 year old papillon that itches and it's driving him crazy. I took him to the vet about 8 months ago since he had several raw spots around his back side from scratching/biting. He was totally parasite free and the vet ran all possible tests on him which all came back negative. He prescribed some meds that cleared it up.

He's itching again and has several bald spots on his rump. This dog has always always had very sensitive skin. You can just lay your hand on him (most anywhere, but particularly on his back) and he just quivers all over.. . Like when you scratch a dog's belly and his hind leg will scratch the air. I've bathed him in a tick/flea shampoo although there are none. I have 2 other dogs and 2 cats and have not had any fleas this year and only ticks back in the spring.

I'm pretty much lost as to what to do. I this something that's unique to papillons?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Sep 28, 2010, 12:02 PM

Sounds like it could be allergies. You might want to consider trying a new food. One that is wheat and corn free. Make sure to introduce slowly. Another thing you can speak to your vet about is giving your dog Bennadryl. This helps with allergies.

It could also be environmental allergies. I have to use all natural cleaning products on my floors, because Lysol and the likes drive my pooches nuts. You can try adding some Omega oils into his diet as well. Something like Cod lover oil or even sardines. But the deeper sea fish are the ones with all the rich fatty omegas. You can also get the capsule form from your vet, my dogs eat them like treats or you can break them open and pour it over the food. They are fairly inexpensive.

I also bought an allergy shampoo which was a bit more costly, it's called Allergroom. A little goes a long way, so for me the price was worth it.
    CFrank Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2010, 06:44 AM
    Hi
    I had the same problem with our dog. Food changes were not the answer. Ask your vet about a prescription shampoo and conditioner that has cortisone in it. It worked for our dog. Many know it alls think that itching and scratching is normal for a dog and just change his diet and give him a little benadryl and the problem will go away. Not! Our dog was in constant misery. His scratching and chewing at his fur was driving him and us nuts. Changing his diet did not work for us. Time is lost when waiting to see if the change in diet will work. The dogs skin condition could get worse to the point of yeast infections. Take care of the problem now. See your vet and ask about the once a week shampoo treatment and conditioner containing cortisone and see what he says.

Good Luck,
    CFrank

Oct 5, 2010, 08:01 AM
    Thank you both for your suggestions. I did call the vet and he said that there were, indeed, other tests he could run. As the problem is intermitant (sometimes he doesn't do it for several months), I'm going to try the shampoo first. Probably the least expensive solution at this point. With 3 dogs and 2 cats, you can imagine what the vet bills run!

Thanks again.
    Dogs Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 08:22 AM

Cortisone is a steroid, and steroids aren't necessarily the answer.

Obviously we would try the logical solution before advising the OP to try a steroid. And yes 9 times out of 10 it is a skin allergy and a food change helps immensely. Sorry it didn't in your situation.

Good luck to the OP

Oct 5, 2010, 09:01 AM

Pardon? Rude comment?
    Dogs Expert

Oct 5, 2010, 10:18 AM

Oh sorry not you Jjaded! It was edited, so I will edit mine as well. Sorry for the confusion.
    turtlemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Hi ! We are having a problem hope you can help out our dog is itching so bad has bald spots now I can come him with out getting any tangles which for him is rare papillons are known for tangles, he has scratched so much he has less than half the hair he had and I have taken him to vet. We have tried steroids he is on dog food with out wheat and corn, am using this shampoo by: butler schein callrd PhytoVet PSS Antiseborrheic shampoo the vet is at a loss now says to take him to a skin doctor which will cost us a 1000 dollars just for visit. I sure hope you can help me before he looses all his hair he has had all tests done and seem fine except for the itching and hair loss. Please getting desperat.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2013, 02:48 PM
    What brand of dog food are you feeding?
    mellybeth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 07:45 AM
    I adopted a papillion that itched constantly and was absolutely miserable! I changed her food (pedigree) to grain free Natures Recipe and started to add 1 human capsule of fish oil to her food once a day. It took about 2 months but she hardly ever scratches any more. Good luck!
    mellybeth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2013, 07:47 AM
    Also, my papillion had bald spots and sores from constant scratching. Her hair has grown back and the sores healed. I credit the fish oil for that.
    szunker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2017, 04:46 PM
    How is your dog doing now? Three months ago our Papillon started itching. She previously had a lovely full coat and now it is half. As well as seeing pink skin on her hind lings and has scratched off half her ear fur. I am spraying hot spot spray and have changed her dog food. She was on grain free blue wilderness and now on organic hamburger, sweet potatoes, peas and carrots.

She is on Benadryl as needed and apoquel. She should be down to only 1/2 pill per day but is not happening due to itching. The vet thought maybe it was our new carpet. She now lives at another house and my brother and his wife have been so careful with her but is still itching. She has been on the medication and new food for a month already. The vet is out of ideas except to transfer her to a dermatologist.

Any other ideas?
    We would so appreciate any suggestions.

My 8 year old Papillion has been itching terrible. Just started 3 months ago. Vet thought it may be new carpet or food. Now making organic hamburger and vegatables and she is temporarily leaving living with a relative. She has already received cortisone and that did not help. Now on Benadryl and Apoquel. But not seeming to get better. Any suggestions?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Papillon wetting on himself [ 1 Answers ]

We have a male (approx 10 months old) natural Papillon who routinely wets on himself (chest and front legs) when he is let outside to potty. We have 2 other dogs in the house, a male neutered Chihuahua (2 yrs old) and a female, spayed retriever mix (approx 1 yr old). Neither of these other 2 dogs...

Hellp my papillon dog won't eat her food what shouild I do [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a 1/2 year old female papillon dog I adopted from the local shelter last Thursday. It has been 8 days now and she will only eat little amouts of dog food and if my fiancé hand feeds her she will only eat and we need to stop this. We are trying to get her to eat nutro natural choice...

14week Papillon pooping inside [ 1 Answers ]

I have trained my puppy to urinate outside, but she refuses to deficate outside. She will cry when we are outside, to go inside to deficate. I don't know what to do and how to make her comfortable pooping outside. Please help. Thanks Sarah

Papillon/Poodle has Potty Issues after Spay [ 1 Answers ]

My 8-month-old papillon-poodle mix was potty-trained (and had never had an accident in her crate) up until about two weeks ago when she was spayed. The first week afterwards, she had diarrhea at least twice a day in her crate. A few people suggested giving her 1/2 a pepto chewable, which helped,...

Papillon freezing and won't potty outside. [ 1 Answers ]

Ok.. I brought my 10 week old papillon home 3 days ago from the petstore. She is on a schedule with feeding and I take her out every time she wakes up, eats, or comes out of her crate. We stay out as long as I can stand it (or until she's shivering uncontrollably) but all she does is whine. If I...

View more questions Search