Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frauali Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2010, 07:37 AM
    What happens to my money left to me as beneficiary if there is not enough money in..
    I reside in NJ. My mother recently passed. She left me as beneficiary on 2 of her accounts. What happens if there is not enough money in the estate to cover her debts? Do I have to forfeit the money left to me as beneficiary?

joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 28, 2010, 07:57 AM
    Probate will know which debts get paid out of what she left you. You have no choice; there is no forfeiting. It can take months.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 1, 2010, 04:06 PM

It depends on the type of accounts. Generally, an account that has someone listed as a beneficiary the account passes to the beneficiary outside the estate. Only assets of the estate are subject to debts owed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    It depends on the type of accounts. Generally, an account that has someone listed as a beneficiary the account passes to the beneficiary outside the estate. Only assets of the estate are subject to debts owed.
    Yes. And to answer the question, assuming that the accounts are not a part of the estate, if the estate is insufficient to pay the debts, you would have no obligation to pay those debts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 1, 2010, 06:19 PM

Yes, were you a joint owner and how was it written up makes all the difference. If done properly money in accounts don't go into probate to pay toward the debts. So it will depend completely on how it was set up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes, Money, money, money, money? [ 12 Answers ]

Who sings the song that goes something like this... Money, Money,Money, Money?

Money left in my account [ 13 Answers ]

A large sum of money was put into my bank account about 8 months ago. I contacted the people who put it there and they asked me to write a cheque which I did. The cheque was never cashed so I cancelled it and sent another one which has never been cashed. I haven't touched the money but its in my...

The father of my son and my fince just left.. and left us with on money and food in pa [ 1 Answers ]

We've been together for almost 4 years and we live in a rented house. He just left with his sister and did not say where he was going. He didn't leave me any money, food pluse our son was sick and needed to go to the doctor. I know where he is at but his family won't let me talk to him.

How much money does he have left [ 1 Answers ]

Biff earned $45 working at happy days drive-in he spent 1/3 of this money on gas for his car and 1/5 of it on flowers for his girl friend how much money does he have left for the big date

How much money will I have left? [ 3 Answers ]

I have $1.35M in a 401K and want to draw out $100k per year. If I invest the principle at 6% and draw out $100k for 25 years, how much of the principle is left? I would like to know the equation so I can do sensitivity studies on interest rates, times and withdrawal amounts. Thanks!

View more questions Search