Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 04:42 AM
    Passing of a legend
    Even as a lifelong Cowboys fan, I was a huge fan of this man...

George Blanda dies at 83

George Blanda, the Hall of Fame quarterback and kickerwho played a record 26 seasons of professional football and once almost single-handedly won five consecutive games for the Oakland Raiders, has died. He was 83.

The Pro Football Hall of Fame said Blanda died Monday after a brief illness, and the Raiders issued a statement calling him "a brave Raider and a close personal friend of Raiders owner Al Davis."

Blanda, whose career dated to an era when players routinely manned two positions, scored a then-record 2,002 points. He scored those by throwing for 236 touchdowns and running for nine, as well as kicking 335 field goals and 943 extra points. He retired before the 1976 season, a month shy of his 49th birthday, having spent 10 seasons with the Chicago Bears, part of one with the Baltimore Colts, seven with the Houston Oilers and his last nine with the Raiders.

"If you put him in a group of most-competitive, biggest-clutch players, I think he'd have to be the guy who would win it all," his Raiders coach, John Madden, said in a phone interview Monday. "He was the most competitive guy that I ever knew."

Never was that more evident than during a five-game stretch in 1970 when the 43-year-old Blanda, his chiseled jaw framed by salt-and-pepper sideburns, led the Raiders to four victories and one tie with late touchdown throws or field goals.

"It got to the point where when he'd come in [the game], the whole team would go, 'Here comes George. We're going to do it now,'" Madden said. "Then pretty soon all the fans started believing, and they'd all go nuts. And then the topper is when the opponents knew it. It was like, 'Oh no, here he comes.'"

That remarkable stretch began Oct. 25, 1970, when Blanda replaced an injured Daryle Lamonica and threw three touchdown passes in a 31-14 victory over Pittsburgh.

In the four games that followed, he:

Kicked a 48-yard field goal in the final seconds to forge a 17-17 tie at Kansas City.

Threw a tying touchdown pass with one minute, 34 seconds remaining, then kicked the game-winning 52-yard field goal in the final seconds of a 23-20 victory over Cleveland.

Threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to Fred Biletnikoff in a 24-19 victory over Denver.

Kicked a 16-yard field goal in the final seconds for a 20-17 victory over San Diego.

Said Davis in an interview with NFL Films: "Whenever we were in trouble, John just went to the bullpen, waved his hand, and George came in and started throwing those miraculous touchdown passes and kicking those miraculous field goals."

In looking at that incredible streak, NFL Films called Blanda "football's King Tut exhibit," noting that even though people initially thought the quarterback was too old to be a player, "he was just the right age to become a legend."
    Rest in peace George, they don't make 'em like you any more.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 06:57 AM

He's the type of player you want on your fantasy team. Throw the TD and kick the extra point.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    He's the type of player you want on your fantasy team. Throw the TD and kick the extra point.
    And my fantasy team could certainly use some help.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2010, 07:20 AM

Just read about an episode of 'Happy Days' . Blanda played for da Bears in the 1950s . After watching da Bears lose a game ,Ralph comments to Richie that Blanda's career is over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legend of Zelda [ 11 Answers ]

Twilight Princess. I am in the Goron Mines and ( go ahead make Fun of me those who are farther than that) I have been there for a long time. My point is how do I defeat the boss? He eally makes me mad and I want to do it without dying. Please and Thank You :D :D And also in Wind Waker, I am stuck...

2weeks late & passing passing clots [ 1 Answers ]

My period is weeks late and yesterday I had some bad cramping. I had some light bleeding & then I passed to large clots. I have never had any clots this size before. I am still bleeding. Is this just a late period or am I having a miscarriage ?

Legend of Zelda: PH [ 3 Answers ]

HI Im stuck on a part where you are on the frosen island where you have tofind the impostor, well, I already did that and I'm in the temple, but I need to activate the 4 purple round things, but I don't know how to.

The Legend Of. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I have a homework assignment due. I have to find a legend that I can relate to. Anybody know any good legends?

Urban Legend: PSPhone? [ 6 Answers ]

I've heard with some version of PSP, you can simultaneously use it as a PSP and a phone... free of charge. How do you go along doing this?

View more questions Search